This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Mother’s Day is only nine days away, people! Have you thought of a gift yet? No? Well no worries because I got a few simple ideas that won’t break the bank and that are super thoughtful for the mom, aunt, or grandmother that is important to you. 

1. Sweet Treats 

My mom loves candy. Almost every mall trip includes a See’s Candy stop. So why not get her something a little sweet to enjoy on her other special day that isn’t her birthday. But don’t immediately think of candy if she’s not a candy person. Maybe doughnuts, cupcakes, or macarons even if you’re feelin’ a little fancy.

2. Decorative Home Piece 

It sounds silly, but home decorations might be a really good gift for not just your mom but for anyone. I think something that adds a little color or a sweet message to anywhere someone lives would be great gift. Anything to remind them of you and brighten their day even if it’s the smallest of things. Handmade would be even more thoughtful, but if you aren’t that crafty like me, try to find a quirky vase, a cute pillow, or inspirational quote board that can be hung on the wall. Just an idea.

3. Jewelry

Jewelry doesn’t necessarily entail breaking your wallet for the most precious metals and jewels. Plenty of places like flea markets, second hand stores, or any cheap clothing store is gonna have accessories. The hope is that whatever jewelry piece you get them lasts for a while, but accessories do really make an outfit. A simple necklace, some dangly earrings, a trendy watch, or a dainty ring can spruce up an outfit. 

4. A Book (or books) or Journal

Now I don’t know about your family, but I know my family loves to read. My mom’s Kindle library is extensive and for a long time all she wanted was an Amazon giftcard. But actual paperback books are great thing, too. Even if your family member isn’t the most fond of books, maybe a book that’s the same genre as a favorite movie genre they like might actually be something they’ll read. Or if you get them a journal, maybe they can write about their day, their feelings and maybe that can spark a more positive part of their day. 

Hopefully this list gave you a little inspiration about some possible Mom Day gifts. Whatever you plan on getting that special mom in your life, I think they’ll love it no matter what. It’s the thought that counts. Hope you have a nice Mother’s Day!

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.