Skin Care: Winter Edition!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

It’s a new, cold, winter quarter for us college students. Your grades might be getting by for now, but is your skin? Late nights and the cold winter breeze might be wreaking havoc on your skin little by little, so before your skin starts to give out, it’s best to start taking care of it now. Personally, I am an advocate for Korean skincare because of its affordability and its effectiveness. Here are three different Korean skincare items that can give your skin the care it needs for all skin types without needing a big chunk of change or a time consuming skincare regimen. All products can either be found at Ulta, Sephora, on Amazon.com or the famous Korean skincare site Sokoglam.com.

Before heading to bed in your onesie or matching pajama set, it’s always a good idea to take the day off your face. The best cleansers for that, no matter the skin type, would be an oil cleanser. Oil cleansers help to melt the makeup and bring the dirt out from under your pores to clean and clarify your skin, and I have just the perfect winter recommendation for you.

This is the Klairs Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil. This cleansing oil is fused with vegetable oils to clean, moisturize, and protect the skin all in one product for about $25. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this guy. Perfect for cold nights or when you feel the need to kick the heater on high. Before or after you shower, pump the product once into your hand and using circular motions scrub your face. Make sure your skin is dry. Then rinse with warm water while still using circular motions to let the oil emulsify. Pat your face dry and follow up with a toner of your choice for a fresh and rejuvenated face.

Another skincare item that can pump up your winter routine and add a bit of pampering to your lifestyle is an exfoliating mask. An exfoliating mask can help buff dead skin cells off your face to enhance your skin’s “glowness.” It will help to clear the dirt from your pores and even provide some other benefits such as brightening acne scars.

This one from Skinfood is my personal favorite, and I have been using it at least once or twice a week depending on how my skin is doing. The Skinfood Black Sugar Mask helps to exfoliate dead skin cells with sugar crystals which soften and brighten the skin all for just $10. No matter what you use to exfoliate, try to use of it only once to two times a week. Doing it more than that can cause your skin to become flaky from how much scrubbing you end up doing to your skin. To use this mask, leave your face slightly damp from after you wash your face for the night, then apply a generous amount on your face and spread the product in slow, gentle, circular motions. Leave for fifteen minutes and remove with either a warm wash cloth or just a warm water rinse.

When the winter months start destroying your skin from the cold air and the high heaters in classrooms, your skin is in need of some balance. A moisturizer is a MUST HAVE for all skin types including oily skin to give your skin the right amount of moisture to repair itself from the harsh weather conditions.

Dry skin during the winter months can be exceptionally dry because of the plummeting temperatures. My recommendation would be Lioele’s V-Line Sleeping Pack. This little guy in cute packaging might feel weird going on your face before bed, but that sliminess you might feel can give great results. As a sleeping pack, you put a generous amount on your skin as if it was a face mask and go to sleep just like that. Easy as pie. Then once you wake up, just take a warm washcloth to wipe off the excess and BAM. Hydration that will last throughout the day. Online, this guy goes for about $16.

These products all give so many different benefits for reasonable prices and will last you awhile. Give them a shot!

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.