This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

In honor of Earth Day (even though it passed), I thought it’d be a great idea to share some of my favorite brands that are cruelty free. I think we are all guilty of using brands that test their products on animals, so here are a few brands that are great if you want to buy more makeup that would protect the little guys that are part of our environment. 

1. Tarte

Unfortunately, I don’t own too many Tarte products besides these ones that I got from my Sephora birthday gift, but I love these. This blush that is definitely well-loved (as a lot of these products are), but it’s a super pretty mauve color that looks super natural. It’s Tarte’s Amazonian Clay 12 hour Blush in the shade Paaarty (yes, 3 A’s). I also have the Tarte Lip Paint in the shade Birthday Suit which compliments the blush both in name and in color. Tarte has a lot of other great products including all of their mermaid themed eye shadow palettes and highlighters, so definitely try this brand out if you haven’t.

2. Too Faced

Too Faced has been one of my favorite brands for a long time. The first eyeshadow palette I bought for myself when I was finally able to afford it was a Too Faced palette, and I loved it. The quality of Too Faced products are great including their Primed and Peachy Primer that I use religiously. I have oily skin and it takes A LOT to keep my oils at bay. This lasts for hours, has a cooling affect, and a pump which keeps it sanitary. I also have the Too Faced Natural Eyes palette (from before they changed the packaging) and the Better Than Sex mascara that I absolutely love.

(Left to Right: Heaven, Silk Teddy, Nudie, Cashmere Bunny, Push Up, Honey Pot, Sexpresso, Erotica, Chocolate Martini)

3. Colourpop

Colourpop is by far one of the best low price point makeup brands I have ever used. The quality, the range of colors, and the range of products makes this brand a top competitor against high end brands. As you can see, I have a little collection of Colourpop products and while I don’t use all of them daily, I still think they’re awesome products. Unfortunately, my Alexis Ren x Colourpop bronzer and highlight palette is really messy inside, so I didn’t swatch them. I did swatch some of these products already in my festival essentials article, so check that out for more swatches. The ones I didn’t swatch are this third highlighter I got from them as well as two new eyeshadows. The highlighter is called Candyman and the eyeshadows are Cornelious and Paisley. All of their products are super pigmented and last a really long time. Some of their products have even reached Sephora and Ulta, so check your local Sephora and Ulta to see if they carry their products in store. Not all locations will unfortunately, but don’t let that stop you from going online and finding something great for cheap.

(Left to Right: Candyman, Cornelious, and Paisley; sorry about the lighting)

4. Urban Decay

Urban Decay is definitely one of my favorite high-end brands. While I have only really tried their eye products such as their eyeshadow products and eye primers, I loved their products. My OG Naked 3 palette full of amazing pinky shades is so beautiful and great for spring time. I wish I had more to share, but if you’re thinking about getting one of their other beautiful palettes, you are investing in a great brand that does not hurt animals. Win win all around!

5. Anastasia Beverly Hills

Known for their fantastic brow products, I am so glad I can add Anastasia Beverly Hills to this list of cruelty free brands. My unruly and asymetrical eyebrows cannot survive without my Brow Wiz Pencil. I have four in total; one in both of my purses and two in my makeup kit for when I run out of a pencil. Also I love my Glow Kit and the swatches are also in that festival essentials article I wrote, so if you’re curious head on over there. I haven’t gotten the chance to yet, but I’m hoping to add more ABH to my makeup collection. And you should, too!

Hopefully this article gave you more appreciation for these brands that are loved by so many people. I am writing this in the hopes that more and more of my favorite makeup brands that I use today will stop testing on animals and find other methods on making sure that the products we know and love are safe for us to use. For more cruelty free makeup brands, go to https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/ultimate-guide-to-cruelty-free-makeup/ to see if maybe the products you have now are cruelty free or to experiment with other cruelty free brands. 

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.