This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Spring is just around the corner, but for some people, it’s still hard to shake off those winter blues. If the short days and cold weather have you down, try a few of the following tips to get yourself back on your feet.

Clean Up a Little

Cluttered space can make your mind feel cluttered, too. Do your laundry, make your bed, or even just take a shower– anything that can help the space around you look, and feel, a little nicer. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed by how messy everything is, try starting small. Pick one thing and put it where it goes, then let yourself be proud of that!

Do Something You Enjoy

In the hectic whirlwind of college life, it’s easy to forget to take time for yourself. Take a step back from your responsibilities, and give yourself permission to watch your favorite show, play your favorite game, or pick up an old hobby, guilt-free. Even if you’re tired and don’t quite feel like doing anything, try doing something you love anyways. You might be surprised at how much better you feel afterwards.

Talk To a Friend

Introvert or extrovert, everybody feels better when they’re understood, supported, and loved. It can be easy to isolate yourself sometimes, and reaching out to friends will stop that from happening. Whether you want to tell them about the things you’ve been struggling with, or just laugh and have a good time, a close friend is a surefire way to remind you that you’re not alone.

Express Yourself

When you feel tired, frustrated, or sad, it can be tempting to try and power through your emotions until they go away. That can work for a little while, but unless you express those feelings somehow, they’re not really going to go anywhere. Journaling, poetry, songwriting, drawing, photography woodworking, dance– there are about a million ways to create things that express how you feel. Remember that you’re making art for yourself, so it’s ok if it looks bad!

Just Breathe

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed by negative thoughts, step back for a moment, and try this quick guided meditation sequence: relax your shoulders and close your eyes. Focus on your emotions, allowing yourself to feel them without judging them, while you slowly breath in. As you gradually breath out, imagine those emotions leaving your body with your breath. Repeat this until you feel a little more calm.

Be Kind to Yourself

Sometimes, it’s too easy to become our own worst critics. Maybe you didn’t finish that essay on time, or you gained another five pounds, and now you feel like a failure of a human being. When you find that you’re beating yourself up, try to replace those negative thoughts with positive ones. Remind yourself of the things you did accomplish, and try to compliment yourself by thinking things like,“my hair looks great!” or “I’m a smart person.”

Book an Appointment at the Counseling Center

Here at UWB, we’re lucky to have access to free counseling services. If you find yourself feeling unmotivated, tired, or moody most days, it’s a good idea to check in with a professional in case there’s an underlying problem. If the idea makes you nervous or uncomfortable, remind yourself that therapy isn’t just for people who struggle with mental health. Just like going to the doctor for a checkup, it’s normal and healthy to go to a counselor for a mental health checkup! The counseling center is located on the bottom floor of UW1.

Emelyn is currently attending the University of Washington, Bothell. She joined her local HerCampus chapter to gain experience, make new friends, and write about the things she feels are helpful and important! She is currently pursuing a degree in Community Psychology and hopes to one day use her passion to make the world a better place.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.