Why Cheating Should Never Be Acceptable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

There are many reasons and possibilities that would may make you want to cheat during your lifetime. It could be on tests, in sports, in a relationship, pretty much anything. I am here to tell you my thoughts on why cheating is wrong.

Loyalty and Trust

Relationships are about loyalty and trust. If you can’t be faithful in your relationship, what’s the point? Most people will find out through different methods and in most cases, they always do. It’s best to save the hurt and wounds by ending things before you crush your significant other. It will affect them and their future relationships from being scared that it may happen again.

Appreciate What You Have

Another reason people cheat is because they don’t appreciate what they have. They are often looking for better options or something that is dangerous and exciting. They get bored and look for something that is letting them get another taste of something else. 

Unhappiness

If you are unhappy in a relationship, try to change things. If it’s toxic and harmful, then get out of it. PERIOD. Don’t use this as an excuse to be with another person. Common struggles like this can be fixed, don’t just opt out on the easy path.

You Don’t Have to be in a Relationship 

Obviously, relationships are a challenge. They come with all sorts of obstacles over time. You have the choice whether to be in one or not. Don’t hurt someone just because you aren’t satisfied with some aspects of your relationship. You have the option to focus on yourself or focus on someone you can share memories with. It’s your choice, so don’t hurt others while debating on what you really want.

You Will Set a Bad Precedent  

Cheating on another person will disappoint everyone- your significant other, friends, co-workers, parents, and yourself.  You will be used as a bad example because you took the easy road and cut corners.  No one likes a cheater, so save yourself and don’t set a bad precedent for your future life choices.

You May Regret It

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, you forget about everything that matters. You get caught up in this new and exciting person; and do something you would never think to do.  Everyone regrets mistakes they make. By not making this one, you can save a lot of hurt and anxiety for your significant other and yourself. It may take time, but you will definitely feel remorse for those you have hurt.  

The pain can be unbearable and makes your significant other question whether they were ever good enough and what they did wrong. Being a cheater has very few perks, so why put someone through all of this torture? Think carefully and take an extra minute before you do something to tear a person a part. 

Erika is a Professional Communications and Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout.  She hopes to find a career in journalism after graduation to continue her love for writing. She loves fashion, dancing, and sleeping.
Her Campus at UW-Stout