This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Fashion is everywhere. Sure, I’m a little biased, being a Fashion Marketing major and all, but we can all agree that fashion plays a major role in society. We read magazines to gain insightful style advice, attend fashion shows to learn about the latest trends, and have countless Pinterest boards dedicated to fashion and its various components. But why? What is it about fashion that we are so drawn to? To better answer this question, here are the top three non-profit-based reasons why fashion plays such a major role in our lives:

1. Self-Expression: Fashion allows us to express ourselves and our personalities. How we dress is an extension of our personalities; we are able to show the world who we are through our own unique style.

2. Happiness: Fashion, for the most part, makes us feel good about ourselves. We are inspired by innovative designs, designers who are using fashion as a way to change the world, and clothing that allows us to just be ourselves.

3. Cultural: Fashion is not just about companies making money. There is a more traditional, and sentimental side to fashion: it represents our heritage and how we live.

Oftentimes, fashion can be looked down upon and seen as shallow or lucrative. Yes, some aspects of it are; however, we need to look past that and focus on all the good it does for us.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout