Single and Celebrating Non-Romantic Love this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Unpopular opinion: I’m single and I love Valentine’s Day. I never understood the hatred that people had towards a day about celebrating love. As someone who’s been single for a fairly decent amount of time (a.k.a. a long time), I understand that sometimes single people feel bitter towards couples. If you do see couples out, what’s the point of being sour? As long as there’s not too much PDA, I don’t see the point in being irritated over someone else’s happiness. You’re basically just upsetting yourself. Valentine’s Day doesn’t just have to be about celebrating romantic love. There’s plenty of other people to celebrate with and plenty of other ways to spend the day. Here’s how to show some love this Valentine’s Day even if you’re not in a relationship.

Friends

If you have some single friends, why not get together for a Galentine’s Day? You can do typical couple activities, such as going out to eat and seeing a movie, but do them with your BFFs. You could also have a chill night and watch rom-coms. Just don’t forget the chocolate and wine.

Family

You may not be giving your parents homemade cards caked with glitter and glue like you did in elementary school, but you can still bring home a card, chocolates, or flowers. Even if gifts aren’t your thing, they may like a simple visit or phone call. Don’t forget about siblings or extended family either!

Pets

Joshing Billings once said, “A dog is the only thing on the earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” So why not show your furry/scaly/feathery friend some love? Any pet will appreciate an extra treat (bonus points if it’s homemade and/or in the shape of a heart) or a little extra attention. There’s no shame in being a college-aged cat lady.

Solo

If you find yourself totally alone for Valentine’s Day, don’t sweat it. Have a fun night and treat yourself right. Throw on a face mask, take a bath, pop in your favorite movie, open a book, or anything else that makes you feel relaxed and like you’re taking care of yourself. Valentine’s Day can be about all different kinds of love- not just romantic. Instead of sitting around wishing you had a SO, show the people you currently have in your life how much you love them.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.