Showstopper or Makeup Malfunction: Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara Review

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The past few days, I have been testing out Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes, 4-in-1 Mascara. Tarte is a cosmetics company which prides itself on being eco-friendly and cruelty free, as well as using natural, hypoallergenic ingredients in its products. The company claims that this mascara lengthens, curls, volumizes, and conditions and when it is applied, is “acting like a push-up bra for your lashes.” The mascara is only sold in the color black, but Tarte also produces a waterproof version.

My first impression was how cute this mascara’s packaging is! The tube stands out among all my other mascaras (and as your local makeup junkie, I sure have a lot of mascaras). I also felt that the material surrounding the tube made it easier to grip the wand (and as your local klutz, I sure drop a lot of mascara wands). The wand is large enough to cover all of your lashes in a few swipes, but not so big that it’s hard to manage and you end up with mascara all over your eyelids.

According to Tarte‘s website, the proper way to apply this mascara is to “Wedge the wand at the base of lashes & pull out in a zig zag motion to reach every last lash,” similar to this gif:

I applied the mascara using Tarte’s suggested technique to bare, uncurled lashes. Right away, I noticed that this mascara gave my lashes an insane amount of length. In just a couple swipes, my lashes were touching the lower part of my eyebrows. I will say that if you simply swipe upwards, it is harder to build volume, so I would definitely recommend using Tarte’s zig-zag method. I found the wand easy to control and was able to apply mascara without getting it on my eyelids or lower lash line. It also does an amazing job at separating lashes. We’re talking about false eyelash levels of separation! It didn’t produce a single clump while still maintaining length and darkening the lashes. If you’re frustrated with clumpy mascaras and spidery lashes, I would try out Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara.

I wore the mascara for a few days and I never noticed any flaking around my eye area. The majority of the mascara I applied that morning was still was my lashes at night (nothing more than usual makeup wear and tear) and my lashes stayed flexible and were soft to touch. I typically do my makeup at 7 or 8 a.m. and leave it on until 11 p.m. or later, so a mascara that can stay put for over 15 hours is a keeper! I also wore this on a humid, rainy day without it budging. Even with its amazing staying power, it is easy to remove with a makeup wipe and I do not have to rub my eyes hard to take it off. Here is an image of me wearing the mascara:

I also decided to see how the mascara would layer after a few hours. I usually only wear one coat of mascara during the day for classes and work, but if I have plans for the night, like going to dinner, I like to add an extra coat or two to make my eyes pop. Some mascaras will layer easily and give your lashes extra length and volume, while others just clump up. This mascara had no issue with layering hours after the initial application. My lashes stayed separated and even after two or three coats, they were still flexible and soft.

Overall, I would give this mascara a high rating. It darkens lashes and makes them look extremely long. I also love how easily this separates my lashes, even after multiple layers. It has great staying power, while still being easy to remove. If you haven’t already, definitely pick up this mascara and give it a try.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout