alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Social media has presented the public with images of the “perfect person” and that standard has crept up on us in the past decade. This new standard of perfection is difficult for many people to reach.

Going to drastic measures to achieve the ideal “fitspo” body is something I can say I have done, its not mentally or physically healthy.  This new standard of perfection that has come around has made some forget how beautiful all people really are, and how wonderful the human body is.

Now, I am not writing this article to shame those who are striving to get toned arms or a toned tummy, in fact I encourage that! I am writing this to bring awareness of a good way to go about getting a toned tooshie, and a bad way.  The bad way, being starving yourself or cutting your calories down to a trivial amount (which can end up to binge eating, trust me, I have been there, or more serious damage to your body) and spending countless hours at the gym which can result in injuries. The good way to go about achieving a healthy, toned body is to:

1.   Feed your body. Make sure you’re getting your required nutrients, and your diet has plenty of healthful foods

2.   Listen to your body, if your body hurts or you have an injury, let your body heal through it. You won’t get anywhere by pushing your body past its extremes.

3.   Love your body. Appreciate all the things your body can do. Appreciate your health; you don’t want to take it for granted.

4.   Learn about your body. Take the time to learn about proper nutrition and exercise.

5.   Healthy mind = healthy body. Set time aside for yourself each day, you deserve it. Health is not only physical, but mental as well.

Whatever the reason you are choosing to workout, be thankful… and kick some ass!

Samantha Jo Floersch is originally from Lakeville, Minnesota and is a junior majoring in Industrial Design and Business Administration. She is known as a fitness addict; you can always find her at the gym or practicing yoga at home.
Her Campus at UW-Stout