Non-Traditional Valentine’s Day Date & Gift Ideas for Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

There are so many different Valentine’s Day date ideas out there. If you want to go with the traditional dinner and flowers, go for it but if you’re looking to spice up your date night, here are some great non-conventional date and gift ideas that are relatively low cost so you can still have a fantastic night with your significant other and save a little cash for a different night out.

Date Idea #1: Arcade/Bowling/Go-Kart

If you’re looking for a fun and action-filled date night, the arcade is a great place to go. There are plenty of games for both to play; some are even multiplayer making it even more fun and romantic. It’s a great time to just feel like a kid again and have a care-free night together.

Date Idea #2: Hiking/Outdoor Activities

There’s nothing like getting some fresh air, going on a hike on your favorite trails or enjoying other outdoor activities like skiing or snowboarding, fishing, and much more. This date is an awesome way to explore and enjoy nature.

Date Idea #3: At-Home Spa Night

This date is a perfect night for both. It’s relaxing, easy, and can be super romantic. Depending on the level of comfort between the couple, massages are a great way to get intimate, and a good way to unwind. You can paint your nails, do face-masks together, have a candle-lit bubble bath (rose petals add a romantic touch), pluck your eyebrows, or pamper your skin. It’s very low cost and gets you special one-on-one time with your partner.

Date Idea #4: Cooking/Baking

Everyone enjoys eating at restaurants but not so much the bill, so why not skip going out and get creative together in your own kitchen at home for less? You can learn different recipes, advance your cooking skills, and add personal touches that you wouldn’t be able to find at a restaurant. Even if cooking isn’t your thing, there’s plenty of easy recipes or snacks that are super fun to make.

Date Idea #5: Paintball/Laser-Tag

Show off your competitive and adventurous side with a game of paintball or laser-tag. If you’re looking non-conventional Valentine’s Day dates, these games make for a fun and interesting date idea.

Gift Ideas for Her:

Gift Idea #1: Lingerie/Clothes

If you’re comfortable enough buying your significant other lingerie, it can really spice up a night alone. If you’re looking for something a bit “safer”, giving clothes or finding her favorite clothing brand, can be cute way that shows that you pay attention to the details.

Gift Idea #2: Blanket

Depending on where you live, February can still be chilly, so the option of a buying or making a blanket can be adorable. This gift idea is great because you can personalize it. Tie blankets are super nice to have during the chilly nights and not only will it be a sweet gesture, but you both can use it to keep warm and cuddle.

Gift Idea #3: Basket of Her Favorite Things (candy, perfume, etc.)

You can never go wrong with getting a girl a gift basket of all her favorite things. Some thoughtful items are her favorite candy, maybe even her favorite drink(s), her favorite perfume, nail polish, makeup items, or any other things she likes. This gift is great because it shows you care and pay attention to the small things that she likes.

Gift Ideas for Him:

Gift Idea #1: Activity Jar

Guys can be a bit difficult to shop for, but why settle for just one gift when you can create a jar filled with different activity ideas.It makes it easy for them to decide what to do for date or night-ins. On a small slip of paper, you can write “Back Massage” or “Dinner Date at ____”. Don’t be afraid to get creative and have fun with it. It’s a cute idea that doesn’t have to cost much money and he will appreciate the effort put in.

Gift Idea #2: Apparel

Not all guys go shopping often, so buying a shirt, jersey, or hat with their favorite brand or sports team is a great idea. It’s a very useful gift, and it shows you pay attention to things and brands they like.

Gift Idea #3: Basket of His Favorite Things (video games, candy, etc.)

There’s nothing better than getting a whole basket of your favorite things. Some great ideas for guys are video games, his favorite candy, cologne, a workout item, hair products, sports apparel/merchandise and much more depending on their interests.

Valentine’s Day is all about the couple and what they like to do. If you both want to get flowers and go to dinner, that’s great. If you’re looking to spice up your night together, hopefully, some of these ideas do the trick. It’s not always about the gifts but rather the time spent together that will make the date memorable. 

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout