This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Spring Break: A term that excites college students and terrifies parents nationwide. Spring break has become known as a sort of rite of passage for many undergrads, through a week of drinking, partying, and adventuring. This tradition has been a popular topic for many years. While there is a lot of controversy surrounding spring breakers, it can also be a time to create some of the best memories for a collegiate. Below are some of the need-to-knows about this popular college ritual.

Top Emerging Destinations:

With more than 1.5 million American college students going on spring break each year, there are some locations that have made a name for themselves as top SB destinations. According to USA Today, they have calculated some of the top spring break locations for students in 2016.

1. Austin, Texas: While not a traditional location, Austin is known for its warm weather and bustling bar scene and is predicted to be the go-to location this upcoming March.
  2. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: A classic location for party seeking college students and this year is no acceptation since it is the second most popular. With its Californian vibes and perfect sand beaches, this location is sure to be a perfect tropical escape.
  3. Tampa, Florida:  While this is not often thought of as popular spot, Tampa attracts college students due to the fact that it is more affordable than other Florida locations such as Miami.  
  4. South Padre Island, Texas: Many colleges flock to this drivable island due to its cheap prices and South Padre hosts a massive annual spring break shindig — complete with DJs and crowds of nearly 20,000.
  5. Panama City Beach, Florida: PCB is a location that has made a name for itself in SB locations. While still a popular location, with the banning of alcohol this year attendance is predicted to fall drastically.

Average Amount Spent Per Student:

Looking at most recent statistics, over one billion dollars is spent on spring break each year solely in Florida and Texas alone. On average, every college students spends little more than 1,100 dollars on one week of spring break, with transportation and accommodation accounting for only half of that number.

Potential Dangers:

On average, boys consume 16 alcoholic beverages and girls consume 10 a day while on SB, compared to the college average of 6 drinks a week while on campus. This leads to higher levels of violence, sex, and blurry memories.

Everyone is aware of the stereotypes of how spring breakers are wild and careless as it comes to sex on this college tradition. As it goes to show through statistics, this is truer than previously thought.

According to recent surveying;

• Half of all sexual encounters on SB are unplanned or random and of all the sexual intercourse, random or not, half goes unprotected.
  • 74 percent of females said they increased their sexual activity while on spring break, and 60 percent had friends who engaged in unprotected sex.
  • STI’s are quickly spread due to these careless hook-ups.

While this reckless sleeping around with random students may seem like a great time for some,  50 percent of the time it is a decision influenced by alcohol and 48 percent of students who had sex under the influence regretted the decision.

Most Popular Drink:

Once on Spring Break be sure to partake in the tropical umbrella-beverages while you’re dipping your toes in the sand, if you’re of legal age of course!! According to a 2015 survey of SB bartenders the most requested drinks are:

1. Margarita
  2. Sex on the Beach
  3. Piña Cola
  4. Bloody Marys
  5. Mai Tai
  6. Bahama Mama

Three Steps to Avoiding Shark Attacks:

Many of us have seen on the news how many Florida beaches are being shut down due to massive shark migration that has resulted over 10,000 sharks shortly off the coasts. Though it may seem highly unlikely, there are some things that can be done to avoid a possible shark attack.

1. Do not swim alone, in murky water, or at night.
  2. Avoid wearing shiny or bright colors while the water that could be an attractive signal, this included watches and earings.
  3. In the case of a shark attack, as opposed to wild bears, it is important to fight back. A sharks most sensitive spot is their gills.

Spring Break can be the time of your life as long as you are safe and smart. Remember to wear your sunscreen, mix in a cleansing water beverage, wear protection, and  punch potential attacking sharks. ;) Follow these and you will be sure to have an amazing trip! SPRING BREAK 2016!!

Allison is a girl. She likes to think she's "not like other girls" but that probably untrue.
Her Campus at UW-Stout