Making the Most of Your Gym: 8 Tips for Workout Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

This semester you decided to get in shape, make a change, and purchase your own gym membership. Whether it was over fear of the freshman 15, your addiction to the unlimited desserts at the dining hall, or simply wanting to stay healthy, you went out and got yourself a membership. When Instagram fitness models make it seem like your life needs to revolve around working out and protein shakes, the whole act of going to the gym can seem overwhelming. Exercise is a great way to burn calories, get away from school, have some personal time, and feel great about yourself. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your workout if you’re new to the gym.

1. Plan your workout beforehand

With the variety of cardio machines, free weights, squat/bench racks, and exercise machines, stepping foot into the gym can be stressful if you don’t go in with a plan. Decide if you want to do a cardio workout, weight lift, or a combination of both before you go. Then jot down your workout plan on a piece of paper or type it into your phone’s notes. Pinterest and YouTube have some great workout tutorials to get you started. You can follow one exactly or combine a few exercise plans to create a custom workout. You can change up your plan every few weeks to avoid plateauing and try new exercises. If you don’t even know where to start, schedule a session with a personal trainer or try a workout class. You’ll learn some great moves from the people who are there to help you.

2. Come prepared

Now that you’ve bought your gym pass, planned your weight lifting sesh, and threw on some workout gear, the next step is actually getting to the gym. Make sure that you have everything you need, but don’t bring so much that you feel like it’s arm day just walking there. Here are some items to make sure to have with you:

• Second pair of shoes (especially if your gym has a two-shoe policy)
  • Headphones and armband
  • Water or sports drink
  • Band aids/medical tape
  • Extra ponytail holders and bobby pins

3. Respect your gym’s rules and policies

There’s nothing worse than getting to a machine only to find that someone left 100-pound plates on it- especially when there’s a sign reminding gym-goers to re-rack weights. Pay attention to these lists of rules and policies. They’re there for your own safety, the safety of others, and for courtesy. Always remember to re-rack weights, wipe down your machine, bring two pairs of shoes, and follow the rest of your gym’s rules. Rules can change from gym to gym, so make sure you’re aware of each facility’s policies.

4. Don’t be afraid of looking stupid

One of the most common things I hear from peers is that they’re afraid to try something new or even go to the gym at all, over the fear of looking stupid. Whether it’s getting the hang of a new workout or not knowing what to do, there’s going to be a learning curve; so don’t be afraid have one. It was everyone’s first day at some point. Here’s the thing: everyone is so busy focusing on their own workout and whether people are staring at them to notice whatever you’re doing. Don’t be afraid to try that silly looking ab exercise or to be dripping sweat as you workout. All that matters is that you are getting a great workout in and feeling amazing. If you feel like you still look silly doing an exercise, just think about how good you’ll feel when you start to see improvements. 

5. Take some time to learn the equipment and figure out how you like to workout

The machines can look scary and intimidating at first, but the good news is that you don’t need to be an expert to use them. You can get a great workout with just using free weights or body weight. Many machines have directions on them. Doing the exercise properly will save you from an injury and make sure you’re getting a good workout. Take some time to get comfortable with the equipment and figure out which exercises you like the best.

6. Start out slow, then add weight or speed

In order to avoid injuries, make sure that you are doing each exercise correctly. It can feel intimidating when the guy next to you is squatting 200 pounds and you’re struggling with just the bar, but it’s always better to slowly build up than to do too much too soon and become injured. Add weight or speed to your cardio sessions at your own pace. Your body will get to where you want to be eventually, but you have to listen to it and start off slow.

7. You don’t need to spend forever at the gym to get a good workout

A 20-minute workout is always better than no workout at all. You don’t need to spend hours at the gym each day to be healthy. If you’re really pressed for time, try a circuit workout or do some super sets (doing one complete set of two or three exercises one after another and taking a break, rather than doing one set of one exercise and taking a break). Even using the treadmill or elliptical for a short amount of time can be a great workout.

8. Figure out what gets you motived to workout

Do you need the perfect playlist? Is there an inspirational fitness quote you need to read right before you go? Did you promise to buy yourself a latte from that pricey coffee shop each week if you workout five days in a row? Do you just really like pizza? Figuring out what motivates you to get moving will help get you there on the days when you really don’t want to.

College can be stressful, but the gym doesn’t have to be. Take a break from studying, get in some you time, and hit the gym!

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout