stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Start Going to The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Ah, the gym. It can be so scary if you don’t exactly know what you are doing. Before this year, I have been to the gym once, and it was terrifying. I swore that I was not going to do it again, but this school year I knew that I needed to start making an effort to get in shape. I always thought that everyone who goes to the gym is super buff and toned and they judge people who aren’t. I did my research and looked up exercise equipment to use and how to use it, but I still felt intimidated. Here are some pointers from my experience on how to become comfortable going to the gym. 

Scope out the situation

Every gym is different, and you’re going to need a moment to look around and decide what you are going to do. Since you can’t just stand in the doorway and weirdly watch everyone, make your way over to something safe and familiar like the treadmill. Warm up and take this time to give the gym a look around and make a game plan. Plus, it will make it look like you know what you are doing. 

Don’t try to do anything you can’t 

If you have never lifted weights before, don’t just jump right in and start lifting the heaviest thing you can find. Not only is it seriously dangerous, it is impractical. You aren’t going to gain anything from hurting yourself.

Stop worrying about what everyone else is thinking

I know it’s hard. Everyone here looks so cool and strong, and you don’t want them to know that you’re new to this. But I have a secret for you: they’re just as clueless as you. Sure, some of them may have been here a few times more than you, but that doesn’t make them a personal trainer. Try to only focus on yourself and remind yourself that you aren’t there to impress anyone.

Go with someone who is experienced

Sometimes all we need is a mentor is get us going. Find a friend who goes to the gym often and tell them what you want to work on. They can show you how to use some of the equipment and they can answer any questions you may have. Bonus points if you find a friend who will motivate you to go the gym with them on a regular basis. 

Going to the gym doesn’t have to be scary and it shouldn’t be intimating. Everyone there has something in common: they all want to get in shape and they all happen to be getting into shape in the same space. Feel good about yourself and have confidence that you can go to the gym just like anyone else. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout