How Nutrition Can Aide In Cancer Prevention And Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

With Relay for Life season fast approaching, cancer is on many minds. Cancer is defined as a disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body.

There are 12.7 million people in the United States each year that are diagnosed with cancer and about 20% of all cancer cases are related in some way or another to modifiable risk factors such as body fatness, level of inactivity, excessive alcohol consumption, or improper nutrition. In other words, that 20% has the possibility of being prevented. Imagine, 20% less cancer cases each year!

The good news is that with lifestyle changes and early detection practices, many cancers can be prevented or managed. The American Cancer Society guidelines for reducing preventable cancers are as follows:

1. Consume a plant-based diet.

2. Reduce portion sizes to amounts that just fulfill your appetite.

3. Consume less processed meats and instead use whole, natural meat cuts.

4. Aim to consume at least 2 1/2 cups of vegetables and fruit each day.

5. Look for whole grains instead of refined grains.

6. Aim to restrict alcohol consumption to no more than 1 drink for women and 2 drinks for men a day.

7. Stock up on the Recommened Dietary Allowances (RDAs) of Calcium and vitamin D for strong bones and muscle growth. This RDA for vitamin D is 600-800 IUs for healthy people and for cancer prevention is 400-1,100 IUs. The RDA for Calcuim is 1,000-1,200mg for most healthy adults.

8. Find a diet rich in *antioxidants like vitamin C, E, A (carotenoids), and phytochemicals – which are biologically active compounds in plant products-but get these through food instead of supplements since they will absorb better in a meal than alone and are more natural in form and amount.

*Antioxidants prevent oxidation in the body, which promotes damage to cell tissues and can facilitate cancer growth and formation on these unhealthy cells.

9. Don’t overcook meats so much that they form a charred look on the outside.

10. Reduce consumption of sugary foods and drinks that can raise insulin levels and thus increase the probability of obesity and cancer rates.

11. Aim to get about 150 minutes weekly of moderate intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous activity weekly.

Awareness and prevention of cancer isn’t strictly based on your diet and exercise routines, it’s very important to complete regular screenings for cancer:

• Mammogram tests: annually starting by age 40-44
  • Colonoscopy: every 10 years
  • Cervical: annually starting at age 21
  • Pap Smears: every 3 years between the ages 21-29
  • Prostate: check out by age 50
  • Mass test screenings: between ages 55-74 should complete other tests to screen for cancer in other areas

**Use the link here to find cancer care contacts and resources

I'm a Dietetics student at UW-Stout! My passions are health & nutrition, music, movies, sports, eco-friendly living, and being around fun-loving people.
Her Campus at UW-Stout