Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Extreme Coupon: A Broke College Student’s Guide to Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

As college students, challenged with paying monstrous tuition and housing fees up the wha-zoo, there isn’t a whole lot of room in the budget for frivolous spending.  Every day that bank account shrinks, you’re forced to say no to the simple things that you enjoyed in high school.  Gas money, groceries, video games – forget about it.  But there’s one thing that you can easily do to make that hole in your wallet just a little bit smaller!  Most students have at least heard of TLC’s “Extreme Couponers.”  And although this show is – as entitled – extreme, I turned to Ruth Soukup of www.livingwellspendingless.com for realistic advice on couponing on your campus.

Contrary to spending 16 hours a week like some of the nut balls portrayed on TLC, The Beginner’s Guide to Coupons tells us that couponing can be done in as little as an hour a week, and anyone can do it!  Through just 8 simple steps, the page gives advice on establishing couponing sources in your area, deciding what deals to pass on and which to go for, and organizing yourself so that this doesn’t take over your life.

Throughout this article, I will summarize a few basic steps that I have managed to apply to UW-Stout, so that you, too, can save money!

1.Establish Coupon Sources

Coupons are easily attainable in any area.  You just have to know where to look!  The two main medias to look into for couponing are Sunday papers and, of course, the beloved internet printables.  I find that the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram is the best newspaper for coupons.  For just $8 a month, they will send you a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday subscription to their paper.  Sunday is unfortunately the only day coupon inserts are included, but they are definitely worth it!  As for online sites, Coupons.com and RedPlum are my usual favorites.  They’re easy to use and very helpful.  Downloading Groupon can offer deals as well.  It is useful to possess more than one computer, as these sites limit coupon prints to one per computer, but two per printer, so consider asking a friend to borrow theirs.  Other coupons may come from in-store booklets, or peelies that come on some of the products you buy.

2.Make Your First Shopping List

The main places for couponing here in Menomonie are Walmart and CVS Pharmacy.  To insure you aren’t spending more than you should, Ruth recommends you visit coupon match-up websites to aid in price comparisons.  Websites like Penny Pinchin’ Mom, Saving My Family Money, and The Krazy Coupon Lady are great websites for coupon matchups specific to our area.  These sites will have up-to-date savings information to show how far your coupons can take you.  The general rule of thumb is that 60% savings or better is worthy of your shopping list.  Before you shop, always check your store’s couponing policy to make sure your coupons can be used.

3.Combine Coupons For Best Results

The best savings on the products you desire will come from combining coupons within the couponing policy of the store.  Walmart limits coupons to one manufacturer coupon and one store coupon per product.  This means you may have to check weekly ads or look through their savings books at the door before you make the final decision. 

With these simple steps, you are well on your way to saving like a champion!  Remember, it takes time to master these skills and put them to good use.  But with a little patience, you’ll have plenty of money left over for your college wants!

Kate is a junior at University of Wisconsin Stout.  She is a Professional Communication and Emerging Media major, with a concentration in Applied Journalism and a minor in Speech Communication.   Very soon she will also be dual majoring in Digital Marketing Technology. Her interests include blogging, writing, swing dancing, watching movies and (yes) training llamas back home.  Check out her blog at http://collegiettebyday.com
Her Campus at UW-Stout