How to Eat Healthy During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

So the holidays are upon us and this the time of the year when it seems delicious food is constantly available to us. Whether it be at a family gathering, your dorm’s floor party, or office party, good food is always at our reach.

But does that mean you should indulge every chance you get, then swear off all “bad” foods come New Years? Absolutely not, you can treat yourself during the holidays and still stay healthy.

Around the holidays our ideas of portion control can tend to veer off course. Our eyes seem to be bigger than we can handle, and before we know it we have a plate that takes two hands to carry.

Pumpkin pie is a staple for Thanksgiving, but how much pie is just enough for you? A piece of pie should be just as wide as your thumb. Also, if you want to top it with something sweet, go for Reddi Whip over Cool Whip! 

As we know on Thanksgiving there’s a slight chance turkey just might be served at your holiday dinner. When getting your protein fix on, go for a serving of the white meat over the dark. This has more iron and less fat than dark meat! But if dark meat is your only option, be sure to take the skin off to make it a healthier option. 

Her Campus at UW-Stout