How To Be A Superwoman as Told by Kara Danvers A.K.A Supergirl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

We have all dreamt of having superpowers at one time or another. Whether it was to fly or have supersonic hearing, we all wanted to be a hero. As we get older, we learn it takes more than powers and a suit to be a superwoman. Kara Danvers knows a thing or two about what it takes to be a Supergirl…

Wear a “Cape” Not all heroes wear capes, but you can certainly wear yours. A cape doesn’t mean spandex and primary colors. A cape is whatever makes you powerful. Whether it is a pair of high heels or your favorite jacket, wear what makes you feel as if you could take on any villain.

Be Kind-Hearted; Being Mean Is Exhausting We have all had a bad experience with someone we didn’t get along with. And to be honest, it’s EXHAUSTING. It takes much more effort to have a bad attitude than to be the better person and approach things with a positive attitude. Life’s too short to hold a grudge.

Support Your FriendsPart of what makes you a good friend is supporting them through everything. You may not always agree with their decisions, but it is important to stand by them through thick and thin. A true friendship is built on trust and understanding.

Be Responsible for Your Own Actions Everybody makes mistakes, and that’s ok. What defines your mistakes is the way you handle them. By owning up to your mishaps and doing what you can to fix them, you’re showing you can learn and grow as a person. People like honesty and will respect you more for being upfront with your mistakes.

Never Let the Haters Get You DownYou’re going to run into people throughout your life that try to bring you down. How you overcome the criticism is important. Despite any hate thrown at you, always handle it with grace and confidence. You can’t control how others think about you, but you can control how you think about yourself.

Your Love Life Isn’t EverythingNo one says you need to have this whole love thing figured out yet. The truth is, you probably never will.  Instead of always worrying about if your mortal enemy will hold your love interest captive in the future, focus on the now. There will always be new guy that will come along. But if you are always waiting for your chance to save him, you might miss out on what’s happening around you.

Know You’re SpecialEmbrace your differences because they are what sets you apart from the crowd. Part of what makes you, you, is that there is only one of you. Don’t worry about fitting in; being normal is overrated. Celebrate the things that make you special and don’t be afraid to share them with the world.

Think you can handle that? If so, go forth Superwomen and show the world what you’re made of!

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout