Five Spring Activities to do When There’s Still Snow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The only thing that college students look forward to just as much as free pizza is spring. For those of us that live in the Midwest, we know that spring can start anywhere from March until May. Currently in Northwest Wisconsin, our spring is blanketed in snow instead of budding with flowers. Although winter has stayed a little longer than expected, spring is still in the air. Whether you’re rejoicing in the snow or counting down the days until it melts, here are five ways to celebrate spring when there’s still snow.

1. Go for a Hike

A little snow can’t slow you down. Once March rolls around, you may find yourself in the midst of cabin fever and are itching to get outside ASAP. While picking up a game of Frisbee or tanning is out of the question (unless the cold really doesn’t bother you), you can still get your dose of the outdoors. Grab some of your friends and go for a walk on local hiking trails. If it is really snowy, strap on some snowshoes and head on out. The snow might add some extra beauty to your favorite walk. 

2. Bring Spring Indoors

April snow showers can still bring May flowers! If you have a green thumb and can’t wait for the snow to melt, buy some plants to keep around your house or apartment. Plants brighten up and add life to any living space, especially ones with flowers. You can still add some green to your life even if it’s white outside.

3. Put Off Spring Shopping and Get Some Great Deals

The one good thing about wearing winter clothes well into the spring is that by the time the air warms up enough to start wearing cute spring/summer clothes, many of these items have already gone on sale. So once you actually do need lighter clothing, it’s likely to be at a lower price. When the warm weather finally rolls around, you’ll be sporting your favorite attire and saving money at the same time.

4. Visit Your School’s Gym

Beach volleyball might have to wait a few weeks, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t do similar exercises indoors. Your campus gym will likely have open gyms or areas that you can play the same or similar sports with. If you’ve been stuck running on the treadmill for the past five months, check your gym’s schedule and see if the track is open during the day. You can get a similar workout while staying slightly warmer.

5. Take Your Picnic Inside

When the weather gets warmer, most people want to spend as much time as they can outside- including eating. If there’s more snow than grass on the ground, eating outside probably isn’t the best option. Instead, invite your roommates, friends, and/or significant other for an indoor meal on a blanket.

Bonus: You won’t have to deal with any bugs.

Spring may be happening a little late this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the season. Alter some of your favorite activities for the weather and don’t let a little bit of snow slow you down.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout