Essential Kitchen Tools for Your First Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

In a few short weeks, the end of the semester will be upon us and many people will be moving out of the dorms for good and into their first apartments. Here is a list of some useful gadgets to keep in your future kitchen!

Food thermometerBecause you should never have to guess if your food is cooked to the right temperature! No need to miss class because you are at home with food poisoning when it could be easily avoided with a handy little food thermometer.

Cutting boards It is important to have at least two cutting boards to avoid cross- contamination between meats and fruits/ veggies. Plastic ones are fairly inexpensive!  

Measuring cups/ bowls/ spoonsThis one is pretty self-explanatory! If you want a sturdier set, try Pyrex or anything metal.

ToasterThis one is a pretty basic kitchen staple, so if you don’t have a second hand one to borrow from a relative you should start looking for one! Most kitchen tools in this article can be easily found at a thrift store.

Slow cookerThis is probably one of the most worthwhile kitchen tools you could invest in as far as saving time…there is nothing better than coming home to a hot meal after a long day of class!

Nonstick skilletWhether you are frying eggs for breakfast or cooking veggies to go with dinner, a nonstick skillet is unarguably a great tool to have.

Stretchy food saversThese handy little food savers can be used instead of plastic wrap to cover fruits, veggies, bowls, and other containers to keep your food fresh and reduce waste! Win- win situation!

Vanessa studies Early Childhood Education at the University of Wisconsin- Stout. She hails from southeastern Minnesota and currently lives with her fiance in Wisconsin. She is the proud dog mom of 2 fur babies, Marley and Daisy.
Her Campus at UW-Stout