This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Between finals, making summer plans, and getting in a few more hang out sessions with your BFFs, there’s one end-of-the-semester task that might be slip your mind: moving. Whether you’re going home for the summer, switching living spaces, or graduating, finding the time to pack can be challenging. While packing can be stressful and hard to make time for in the middle of finals week, here are eight tips to make moving just a little easier:

1. Pack breakable items with your clothing

Your giant collection of coffee mugs have to go somewhere, but why waste space putting them in their own box? As you’re packing up your clothes, wrap a t-shirt or sweatshirt around your fragile belongings before packing them. Not only will this allow you to pack two things at once, making the process faster, but you’ll also be saving space and paper by packing them this way. A sweatshirt offers better protection than the sports section of the paper, so any glass or ceramic items have a much smaller chance of shattering.

2. Roll your clothes

Yes, your t-shirt drawer looks nice and organized when it is all folded and put away properly, but this is not how you want to pack when you move out. Fold your t-shirt in half and fold the sleeves in, then begin rolling your shirt from the top until it looks like a cylinder. This makes the shirt more compact, saving you a lot of space in the long run.

3. Leave your clothes on hangers

One of the most tedious tasks of moving is taking your clothes off the hanger, packing them, and then having to put them back on hangers once you arrive at your new place. Simplify this process by poking a hole at the bottom of a garbage bag, grab a handful of hangers with clothes on them, thread the top of the hangers through the hole, and then secure the bottom of the bag with a knot. You’ll save a ton of time while your clothes stay protected and clean.

4. Fill drawers with your belongings

If you have a light dresser, desk, or set-of-drawers, don’t empty out the contents just to move. If you have some set-of-drawers that isn’t too heavy, fill them up with items and use packing tape to seal them shut. This will make the process much easier because you won’t have to worry about putting these items in boxes. If you have a heavy piece of furniture, like a wooden desk, that has removable drawers, remove them from the desk and fill the drawers with these items. This will also save you from having extra boxes and it makes the piece of furniture easier to move.

5. Use straws and cling wrap to pack jewelry

Every girl’s worst fear has got to be having every necklace you own lump itself into a giant knot. This nightmare can easily become reality if you’re not careful when moving. To avoid this disaster, simply pack your jewelry smarter. For necklaces, string it through a straw and secure it. If you have longer necklaces, bracelets, dangly earrings, and other tangle prone possessions, use the cling wrap trick. Put a layer of cling wrap onto a surface and lay your jewelry on top of it. Once the cling wrap is full, put another layer on top, and roll it together. This keeps all your jewelry in one compact place without it becoming a tangled mess.

6. Use cup holders and grippy surfaces for living beings

Whether you’re a plant mom or a critter-lover, make sure you have an area set aside for your pride and joy. Smaller plants, like cactuses and succulents, fit well into the cup holders already in your car. If you have multiple, grab an extra cardboard cup holder at McDonald’s or Starbucks and use it to hold your plants. If you’re moving an animal that can’t roam in the backseat, such as a fish or hamster, transfer the animal into a smaller container and put that container on a floor mat between other secure boxes where it will be unlikely to slide around. Also plan for any stops you may make along the way. If you’re swinging into your favorite small town diner for lunch on the way home, consider the time you’ll be away, temperature of the car, and how the sunlight is coming into the car.

7. Have an “immediate use” box

Anyone that’s moved knows how tricky it can be to find anything after arriving at your new place. Set aside a box for items that you’ll need right away when you get there. This includes pajamas and clothes for the next day, toiletries, cleaning supplies, tools, chargers, and anything else you’ll need in the first 24 hours. Trust me, after a long day of packing, lifting, and unpacking, you’ll be happy to find your go-tos immediately.

8. Take pictures of everything at your old and new living spaces

I cannot stress how important this is. Take. Those. Pics. Many living spaces have forms to fill out and are inspected by maintenance or a landlord before you officially move in, but having pictures of each room will give you extra peace of mind. Hopefully, you will not run into any issues of being accused of damages you did not create. In a worse case scenario it’s better to be safe, than to be charged for something you did not do.The end of the semester can be stressful, especially when you’re trying to move in the midst of finals. With these tips, packing up and moving out can be a little simpler. 

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout