Easy and Affordable Mother’s Day Gifts You Can Actually Make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Mother’s Day is around the corner and it is time to thank all of our wonderful moms for putting up with us, supporting us and being our best friend.   With our limited resources, time and college student budgets in mind, here are some totally cute and totally do able gift ideas that say, “I love you, Mom!” 

Teacup Candles-Pick up a teacup at one of our many local antique stores and a candle making kit like this one here, from Walmart and you are set to go! 

Chalkboard gardening pots- Transform a boring gardening pot with some chalkboard paint and chalk!  Label the plant, write a message or draw a cute doodle! 

Mason jar vases-Everyone loves mason jars and everyone seems to be using them lately!  Jump on the mason jar wagon with these fun and bright vases. 

Put a big squirt of paint in the bottom of the jar. Secure the lid and shake well until the inside of the jar is completely covered with paint.  By painting the inside of the glass, the vases have a nice glossy finish.  Remove the lids and allow the jars to dry upside down over night.  Any extra paint may drip out.  Once dry, fill with your favorite flowers.

Lemon Sugar Scrub- With all the hard work our moms do, give their hands a little pampering with a yummy lemon sugar scrub.  It smells so good and leaves your hands velvety smooth! 

What you’ll need:

·      2 ½ cups granulated sugar, divided

·      ¼ cup coconut oil (almond oil will also work)

·      1 lemon or lemon natural oils

1.     Put sugar in a large bowl. Set aside. Measure out 1/4 cup of coconut oil and place it in a microwave safe bowl. Heat coconut oil in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until the oil is melted. Pour oil over sugar and mix to combine.

2.     Using a zester or small grater, zest the rind of 1 lemon. Then, cut zested lemon in half and, using a juicer, juice the lemon. Remove any seeds from lemon juice. Add lemon juice and zest to the sugar mixture and stir to combine.

3.     If sugar scrub is still too “wet”, add up to 1/2 cup more sugar until desired consistency is reached.

Painted Wooden Spoons –We all love our mom’s homemade dinners.  Why not cook in style with these fun and chic painted spoons?  Just dip wooden spoons in acrylic paint and let dry.  Can it get any easier? 

Personalized tea tags- Simply pick up your mom’s favorite tea and replace the original tea tags with personalized tags!  Play around with different paper and fabrics, and flowers, ribbon, glitter; oh the list could go on and on! 

Lace Necklaces- Lace plus fabric stiffener equals gorgeous necklaces?  Who knew these were so easy!  Just cut out the portion of lace that you like, dip in fabric stiffener, let dry and add a chain or ribbon.  So chic you’ll probably want to make one for yourself too! 

My name is Rachel Kolias and I am from St. Paul, Minnesota. I am a junior at UW- Stout studying Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. I am a dedicated tea drinker, yogi, Lindy Hopper, musician, blogger and dog lover.
Her Campus at UW-Stout