8 Reusable Products to Replace Everyday Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

As you go throughout your day, take a second to think about the items that you throw away. We mindlessly toss items without realizing that we could buy reusable, environmentally friendly options. Not only do these products help the environment, but they can also save you money in the long run because they eliminate the need to constantly buy disposable items. Here are eight reusable products to invest in that will help the environment and save you money.

1. Refillable K-cup pods

If you’re a coffee addict and caffeine is your lifeblood, those K-cup pods can really start to pile up. The whole pod isn’t recyclable, so in order to recycle it, you have to take it apart and sort out the materials. Since pods are only made for a single use, they create lots of waste and are expensive to keep repurchasing. Reusable K-cups cut down on your plastic waste, are easy to use, and allow you to drink coffee that isn’t sold in pods. Simply fill the cup with coffee grounds, close the lid, and use it like a normal K-cup. After you’ve brewed your coffee, empty the coffee grounds (bonus points for composting) and rinse out the cup. You can even prep your K-cup pod the night before and store it in an air tight container so that in the morning, all you have to do is pop it in your Keurig and hit “BREW.”

2. Recyclable travel coffee cups

It can be temping to buy Styrofoam or paper travel cups to toss when you’re on-the-go, but these cups don’t break down easily in landfills. Paper cups can’t be recycled because of the wax coating used to waterproof them. Ditch your disposable travel mugs for reusable, recyclable cups. At $4 for a pack of five that can be used over and over, they’re extremely affordable on a college budget. They’re also dishwasher safe and you can recycle them if they become worn. For the girl who’s out and about, some coffee shops will not only allow you to bring your own cup, but also give you a discount. Just make sure that you check with your favorite local shop first and ask if it’s okay to bring your own.

3. Glass water bottles

As long as we’re in the realm of beverages, let’s talk water bottles. As a clumsy girl myself, I was nervous to purchase my first glass water bottle. I could not get the image of my liquid-filled bottle shattering all over the floor in public. After two years of almost daily use, I’ve dropped my Lifefactory glass water bottle more times than I can count and it has never even cracked. Glass water bottles are reusable, don’t leave an aftertaste like metal or plastic bottles do, and you can recycle the glass if it ever does crack or get old. I love using mine so much that I don’t remember the last time I purchased a water in a plastic bottle.

4. Reusable snack bags

Any busy collegiate knows that three square meals a day don’t always happen. Some days, meals look more like devouring a granola bar before your class starts and sneakily eating trail mix under your desk. After a few weeks, you clean out your backpack and throw out enough plastic bags to pack lunch for an entire elementary school. When your budget gets really tight, you may even find yourself rewashing disposable plastic bags. Why not just purchase reusable plastic bags that are made to be washed and reused? You can load them in the dishwasher and one bag is good for 300 uses!

5. Reusable red cups

This classic college staple is getting an eco-friendly makeover! Even if you don’t drink, chances are that you’ve probably had some type of beverage served in an infamous red cup at some point in your life. Typically, these cups end up in the trash, but with a reusable red cup, you can put it in the dishwasher and use it again. They’re also more sturdy than a plastic cup and you can buy them in multiple colors.

6. Menstrual cups

Imagine a world where you never have to buy tampons or pads. Any college girl that’s cringed while swiping her debit card to buy this necessity knows how quickly the cost of hygiene products adds up. Not to mention that the plastic and chemicals in sanity products prevent them from breaking down in landfills. Don’t be afraid to give the menstrual cup a try. Besides saving the environment from extra waste and saving you money, they’ll also save you time because you don’t need to empty it as much as you would a regular tampon or pad. The DivaCup lasts for a year- which means eliminating an entire year’s worth of hygiene products from landfills. Still on the fence about trying one out? Here’s a review on the DivaCup if you’re looking for more info!

7. Wool dryer balls

We all love when our laundry comes out of the dryer. It’s clean, warm, and always smells great- especially when using a dryer sheet. The only problem with dryer sheets is that they’re only good for one load, and then you throw them away, but what if you could get the same feeling for 1,000 loads of laundry? Wool dryer balls will last for that long, but they also absorb water to shorten the time your clothes spend in the dryer. You’ll be spending less money on dryer sheets, use less energy, and spend less time doing laundry.

8. Dish cloths

Put down that kitchen sponge! After a few weeks of doing dishes, the sponge is already dirty or starts to fall apart and it’s time to throw it away. All that waste starts to add up, so instead, try using dish clothes instead. When they start to get dirty, you can simply throw them in the washer with the rest of your laundry and they’re ready to be used again. You can even use dish clothes in place of paper towels for cleaning up spills. It’s like having two disposable products in one reusable product.

After making the effort to replace disposable items with reusable products, I’ve already noticed myself taking out my garbage less (one less chore is always a good thing). Even replacing one or two items with eco-friendly options makes an impact on the environment. When enough people make the change, we can really cut down on waste and keep our planet as healthy as possible.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout