7 Ways to Shorten Your Morning Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Some mornings you have time to perfectly even out your eyeliner wings, bake your under-eye area, and take your time contouring- other mornings you’re chugging an entire cup of coffee in 30 seconds flat while waiting for your first coat of mascara to dry. Here are some tips to help speed up your makeup routine for those crazy mornings where you want to wear it, but are in a hurry.

1. Come up with a game plan

Decide on how much time you want to spend on your makeup and which products you’d like to wear, then go through a few trials and decide on an easy look that you love. Having a go-to look will make it easier to get ready on busy mornings. Keep in mind products that are must-have’s and products you could go without on days that you are running extremely late. For example, I normally wear foundation every day, but when I wake up late, I know I can easily cut foundation out of my routine and just cover problem areas with concealer.

2.  If you like to change up your look, try swapping different colors

Think of your face like a coloring book. You would still fill in the same areas, but the colors you use may be different depending on your mood. Your makeup works the same way. Try changing up your lipstick or switch between cool and warm tones for eyeshadow looks. You can still achieve a new look each day while getting ready quickly.

3. Set aside your favorite products

If you’re someone who has an entire drawer full of makeup, it can be tedious to search out the products you want to use. Once you choose an everyday look, go through your makeup and pick out one or two foundations you’d like to use on a daily basis. Then, set aside your favorite concealer, bronzer, blush, eyeshadows, mascara, etc. in an easy-to-reach place. You’ll save time when you don’t have to dig out that one specific product.

4. Use a primer/ moisturizer

Your products will go on so much easier with a smooth canvas. Adding this extra step will save you a ton of time when it comes to blending and making sure everything looks even. It will also help your makeup stay on throughout the day, which means less touch ups. Bonus: many of these products have ingredients to give you healthier skin in the long run.

5. Multitask with your makeup

Cut down on the time you spending reaching for multiple products by using one product for different purposes. After I finish applying bronzer, I take an eyeshadow brush and blend the bronzer into my crease as if it were an eyeshadow. You can also use your highlight as an all-over lid shade. There are even products such as NYX Whipped Lip & Cheek Souffle that doubles as a blush and lipstick.

6. Use lipstick to make it seem like you spent more time on your makeup

When you want to look like you went that extra mile, swipe on a bright or dark lipstick. Whether it’s a red, berry, purple, or blue, there is no easier way to step up your makeup game than with a bold lip.

7. Makeup remover pens are your best friend

The worst thing that can happen when you’re in a rush to get ready is getting mascara all over your eyelid. Companies like e.l.f. sell makeup removing pens for when your makeup needs a quick touch-up. Simply swipe it over the mistake, blend the surrounding makeup, and you’re good to go.

Just because you’re in a hurry, doesn’t mean you need to cut out your makeup routine entirely or wake up ridiculously early to get ready. You can still save time and step out of your dorm or apartment with a look that makes you feel confident and ready to start your day.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout