This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Humans are constantly setting goals for themselves. These goals might be related to fitness, mental health, work or school, or even lifelong goals. Sometimes they can be very hard to reach. Working hard and staying motivated are difficult tasks when the end goal seems so far away. Here are some tips to have hope on trying to meet your goals.

Find your inspiration

This inspiration can be anything from pictures to quotes to self-love days. Having something to constantly look at or be reminded of is the perfect way to keep yourself motivated. Setting a time aside to better yourself or the goal you want to achieve is a key thing in reaching your goal.

Don’t let haters keep you down

Haters are one of the strongest things that keep us from achieving our goals. Whether it’s that little voice in your head saying you can’t do it, or a friend who thinks you’re crazy for such a high set goal, or just a bully in general. They will keep you down whether you know that this negativity is getting in your brain or not. Keep your inspiration near and block out those negative voices. You can do it!

Stop comparing yourself

Stop comparing where you’re at with where everyone else is at. It doesn’t move you farther ahead, improve your situation, or help you find peace.  There is no one correct path and everyone has their own journey. Your goal isn’t meant to look like someone else’s because you are not like anyone else. You have your own goals, obstacles, and dreams.

Time

Great things take time and, if you have far set goals, whether it be to get that killer body or have happier thoughts, it will take a lot of time. Don’t get frustrated when your goal is far. You will get there someday if you work hard and try to keep bettering yourself!  Take small steps every day. When you get set back, keep going! Don’t let it keep you down. 

Don’t fear failure

If you fear failure more than you desire success, it will be so much harder to reach your goal. Stay excited and don’t forget about that inspiration that made you set such an awesome goal in the first place! 

Stop wishing, start doing

You can’t expect to achieve your goal if all you do is sit and think about it. You have to do something about it! Start creating small goals for yourself to achieve the big one. Remember why you started so you can look back one day and say, “I made it.”

Say “Yes, I can!”

If you say this, you can do it! It always seems impossible until it’s done. Don’t give up and make yourself proud. You are capable of amazing things. Achieve those goals!!

You are fierce, smart, and capable of anything. If you want a nice body, go get it. If you want to be a lawyer, study really hard. Stop being afraid and motivate yourself. Find yourself and find your happiness, because it’s out there waiting for you.

Erika is a Professional Communications and Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout.  She hopes to find a career in journalism after graduation to continue her love for writing. She loves fashion, dancing, and sleeping.
Her Campus at UW-Stout