This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

As college students we are always on the go, and often we don’t have to time to make some proper meals. We begin to rely on frozen dinners and unhealthy snack foods.  But there are some simple and tasty meals we can make right in our dorm room, using a mug and a microwave. Made in a few easy steps, these yummy meals will satisfy your need for your momma’s homemade cooking

BREAKFAST

Blueberry Muffin

INGREDIENTS

1/4-cup flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/8 Tsp. baking powder, 3 Tbsp. milk, 1 Tbsp. coconut oil {melted}, 1/4 blueberry

Topping: 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, 1 Tbsp. flour, 1 Tbsp. raw sugar

INSTRUCTIONS

In a microwave safe mug combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Stir in the milk and coconut oil, and place the berries on top. Make the topping: crumble together the coconut oil, flour and sugar; and sprinkle on top of the blueberries

Microwave on high 90 seconds and cool slightly before removing the mug.

Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup quick cooking oats, 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed, 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 Tsp. cinnamon, 2 Tsp. honey, 1/3 of a banana, mashed, 1/2 of an apple, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine oats, flax, egg and milk in a mug stirring well with a fork. Add banana, cinnamon, apple and honey (If you don’t like any of these ingredients, you can leave them out at this step or alternate for something else). Stir again until fully combined. Cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

French Toast

INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp. butter, 2 large slices bread (cubed), 1 large egg, 3 Tbsp. whole milk, 1/2 Tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 Tsp.vanilla extract, Pinch of kosher salt

Topping: maple syrup, whipped cream or powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS

Add butter to the bottom of a large mug. Add cubed bread on top. In a small bowl whisk together egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt. Slowly pour over bread and let sit for about 1 minute to soak into the bread. Microwave on high for about 4 minutes until the bread is no longer soggy. Top with maple syrup, whipped cream, powdered sugar or all three!

Scrambled Eggs

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs, 2 Tbsp. milk, 2 Tbsp. shredded cheese, (salt, pepper, and any other herbs you choose)

INSTRUCTIONSCoat a microwave safe coffee mug with cooking spray. Add eggs and milk and beat till blended. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave until eggs are almost set, 30 to 45 seconds longer. Top with cheese and season with your herbs of choice.

LUNCH & DINNER

Chilaquiles

INGREDIENTS

A handful tortilla chips, slightly crushed, 2 eggs, 3 Tbsp. salsa, 4 Tbsp. Mexican blend cheese (divided), Hot sauce, Salt and pepper, 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

Spray the inside of a mug with cooking spray. Place crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of the mug. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, salsa, half the cheese, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into mug over the crushed chips and place mug in microwave, cook for 3 minutes. Top with cilantro, remaining cheese and any extra tortilla chips.

Meat Loaf

INGREDIENTS

2 Tbsp. milk, 1 Tbsp. ketchup, 2 Tbsp. quick-cooking oats, 1 Tbsp. onion soup mix, 1/4 pound lean ground beef, Additional ketchup, optional

INSTRUCTIONS

In a small bowl, combine the milk, ketchup, oats and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into a microwave-safe mug coated with cooking spray.

Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, drain. Let stand for 3 minutes. Serve with additional ketchup if desired.

Homemade Spaghettios

INGREDIANTS

1/3 cup short macaroni, 1/4 cup water, 2 1/2Tbsp. tomato pasta sauces, 1/4 cup shredded Colby jack cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

Mix macaroni and water in a microwave safe large mug. Microwave for 7 minutes, stopping to stir every few minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in the sauce and cheese. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, stir again and serve.

DESSERT

Chocolate Chip Cookie

INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp. Butter, 1 Tbsp. Granulated White Sugar, 1 Tbsp. of firmly packed Dark Brown Sugar, 3 Drops of Vanilla Extract, Small Pinch of Kosher Salt, 1 Egg Yolk (discard the egg white), Scant ¼ of All Purpose Flour , 2 Tbsp. of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

INSTRUCTIONS

Start by melting your butter in the microwave. Add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine. Separate your egg and add the yolk only to your cup, stir to combine. Add flour, and then stir again. Measure slightly less than full, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour. Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir. Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds. Do not cook past one minute, just like a regular cookie; this will continue cooking as it cools.

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cake

INGREDIENTS

2 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. peanut butter, 1/2 Tsp. vanilla, 1 egg, 2 Tbsp. sugars, 2 Tbsp. flour, 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1/8 Tsp. salt, 1/8 Tsp. baking powder, 3 Tbsp. chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt the butter in a small dish, add the peanut butter and mix well. In the mug, mix together the vanilla, egg, and sugar until well combined. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder and add to the mug. Pour in the peanut butter/butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Put in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Top with peanut butter pie mousse and hot fudge.

Strawberry Shortcake

INGREDIENTS

4 Tbsp.+ 1 Tsp. white flour, 2 Tbsp. white sugar, dash of vanilla, 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, 3 Tbsp. milk

INSTRUCTIONS

To a mug, add flour, sugar, vanilla, oil and milk. Stir until smooth. Cook microwave for 1 minute. After 1 minute in the microwave, there will be a nice tender and gooey cake. Let cool. Once cake is cool, add some sliced strawberries and whipped cream. It will taste delicious!

S’mores Cake

INGREDIENTS

2-3 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs, 3 ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, 1 large egg, 1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/8 Tsp. baking powder, pinch of salt, 1 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, marshmallows

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine 3 tablespoons butter and 1 ounce of chocolate in a small bowl, melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. In another bowl, combine remaining melted butter with graham cracker crumbs and stir until moistened. Press graham crumbs into the bottom of your mug. In a bowl, whisk egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa; stir until a thick batter forms. Stream in melted butter and chocolate, mixing to combine. Fold in remaining chocolate chips. Add half of the mixture on top of the graham crust, and then add a few marshmallows. Add remaining batter on top, and then pop in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Remove and top with additional marshmallow if desired.

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout