10 Tips for Eating Healthy During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The holidays are a time for family, friends, and most importantly- food. Holiday gatherings often mean feasting with the ones you love. The excess amounts of food during this time of year is a tradition that should be welcomed with open arms, but there are some simple changes you can make to avoid gaining those frisky extra pounds during this holiday season.

1. Be realistic

Don’t plan to lose 10 pounds during the holiday season, instead focus on maintaining your weight. This is a great time to focus on moderation, not restriction!

2. Eat before going to a party

There’s a much better chance that you will be able to pass on the second piece of pie if you’ve already eaten a snack or small meal before arriving.

3. Bring your own dish

This way, you know there is at least one healthy, go-to option at the get-together that you can rely on.

4. Choose wisely

Sure, there might be eight different types of cheesy mashed potato casseroles, but that doesn’t mean you need to try them all.

5. Watch portion sizes

If you do decide to try all eight varieties of cheesy mashed potatoes, taking a small scoop of each makes this option a much healthier one

6. Don’t hang out around the munchies

Once you’ve had your main meal, try to stay out of arms reach of snack bowls and treats. Mindless munching can be a silent killer.

7. Eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed

There is an important difference between eating food because you are hungry and eating food because it is in front of you. Listen to your body and know which is which.

8. Be careful with beverages Beverages may seem harmless, but many are filled with empty calories and unwanted sugar.

9. Plan time to exercise

Even if all you have time for is a 15 minute walk, it’s important to stay active during this time of feasting.

10. Take the focus off the food

Decorating Christmas cookies is a must, but try to add in activities that don’t involve food such as making ornaments, decorating the tree, or building a snowman!

There is so much to love about the holiday season and food will forever be one of them. Remember to utilize these simple tips to take the stress out of holiday eating!

Her Campus at UW-Stout