Why You Should Take an Art Class in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Growing up, I was always an artistic person. To be cliche, I’m no Picasso…but there’s something therapeutic about getting creative. I took a couple art classes in high school, but aside from that, I haven’t taken the time to get artistic like I used to. Recently, I decided to pursue a minor in graphic design, and while that’s usually equated with computers, I have to take a few drawing classes to begin.  Being more interested in art, I had no problem with signing up for an introductory drawing course. After more than a month of taking a hands-on art class, I’m convinced everyone should take an art class at some point in college. Here’s why.

It’s a nice break in your day. If this isn’t an obvious reason to take an art class, let me make it one. It’s not often that college students genuinely look forward to a class. That’s not the case with my art class. In fact, it’s easily my favorite class. Imagine spending your morning in a challenging class filled with dense reading material and discussion (sounds familiar, right?), and leaving with a tired brain to go to the Center for the Arts and DRAW. Not to mention, it’s a change from the conventional college classroom. Ditch the rigid desks and lectures and put a little more fun in your day with an art class.

The homework load is light. While I’m definitely advocating that you take an art class for reasons better than saving time with homework, it’s still a legitimate argument. If you’re buried in hours of homework on top of balancing work, campus involvement, and having a social life, an art class might be a good option for you. For my class I write one online discussion post a week. Art classes typically won’t ask a lot of you besides that you try. Taking an art class to avoid death by homework is worth it.

You get credits for drawing. Or painting, sculpting, photography, or whatever you choose to do. You probably already doodle during your classes…why not get credit for it? We’ve all had classes that require tons of reading, writing, and problem solving. If you need more credits and don’t want to go through the motions or take a boring class, enroll in an art class!

You’re gaining creative skills. Believe it or not, most employers aren’t looking for people who know how to do only one thing. If you think about it, you’ve probably been asked about creativity in some form or another during an interview. It’s important to get creative every so often. Not to mention, you can finally get better at something you’ve never had time for. Taking an art class will help you improve as an artist and expand your creativity.

It’s good for your health. I’ve noticed that I’m a lot happier since I’ve been in a drawing class, and that’s no accident. Countless studies have found that art is actually good for your brain. The Huffington Post put it perfectly in their article title: “Study Says Making Art Reduces Stress, Even If You Kind Of Suck At It“. Yep. You don’t have to be good to reap the benefits of art. As the article shares, 45 minutes of creativity significantly lowers stress levels. Read the article to understand a bit more of all the good things art can do for you. If for no other reason, take an art class for you mental health.

For these reasons and even more, try to fit an art class into your schedule!! An art class might be just the thing to brighten your days. In case I haven’t reiterated this enough, taking an art class is So. Worth. It.

Rachel is an English major and Graphic Design minor at UW-La Crosse, with a serious case of wanderlust. Her time is spent writing, drinking coffee, hiking, discussing Harry Potter, and being distracted by the sky.