Why Hometown Friends are Friends for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

They know you better than anyone else. Most likely you have gone to school with your hometown friends from Kindergarten through high school. They have lived through those awkward middle schools days and your first break up. Your family is their family and vice versa. You have had so many sleepovers and told each other all of your secrets. They will always know you better than anyone else because they most likely spent your whole childhood and teenage years together.

They will always be brutally honest with you. They are the first to tell you when you are screwing up your life or when you outfit looks awful. They aren’t scared to upset you or to say the wrong thing. They do it because they truly love you and want what’s best for you.

Doesn’t matter how long it’s been since you last talked. You always pick up right where you left off. Even when it’s been months since you have seen them, the minute you do you feel like you were never apart. It is so easy to pick up the conversation right where you left off because you can talk to them about anything.  

They are the first ones you call when you are having a rough time. College can be so hard sometimes and all you need to feel better is to talk to your best friends from back home. They are great people to vent to and always know how to make you feel better.

They share your fondest memories and inside jokes. Whenever you get together it is like taking a walk down memory lane. You relive those crazy things you did together in high school and laugh at your inside jokes that no one else would ever understand.

You are completely yourself and comfortable around them. Maybe a little too comfortable. There’s no need for wearing makeup or dressing nice around them because they have seen you look much worse (middle school). You can also be your totally weird self around them and they won’t judge because they most likely are just as weird.

They will be there for you no matter what. At any hour, day or night, you know you can call them because they will always be there for you even when miles apart. You can always count on them to make you laugh when you are feeling sad or when you just need someone to listen to you.

They will always love you. The kind of bond you have with your best friends from back home is the kind of friendship that lasts forever. No matter where you are or what is going on your lives, you will always love your best friends from back home and they will always love you.