Ready, Set, Move: A Guide for Success in your New Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

There’s just no way to avoid it: college students move. A lot. From the first time you move into your freshman dorm to the time you move into your first post-graduation apartment, college provides many opportunities to pack and unpack boxes. While some students may be lucky enough to be living in the same house or apartment next year, many of us are getting ready to relocate, and it’s no small task. To make your move as easy as possible, observe a few of these simple tips.

Start early. You may have been wondering why this article is being posted in the middle of the semester–so here’s your answer! Packing is way less stressful when you do it a little bit at a time. Go through your drawers and closets and pull out all the things you know you won’t need before you move (your Halloween costume or last semester’s textbook, for example) and pack those things away right now. You’ll appreciate this tip when your packing gets finished in half the time that your roommates take at the end of the year.

PURGE! When you stumble upon that Halloween costume or old textbook that you realize you’ll never use again, just get rid of it. As hard as it is to toss out old things, be realistic about what you really need. This will make your move out and your move in much easier (nobody’s ever complained about having less boxes).

. . . or vow to be responsible about getting new stuff. If you are moving from a dorm to an apartment or house, you will end up needing more things, like kitchen dishes, furniture, and cleaning supplies. Make sure you get these things, but also remember that your space will fill up more quickly than you think. Wait to buy that full china set until you have a house of your own, and only bring the things you really need.

Make a plan. Communicating with your roommates about who is moving in/out at what time is incredibly important. Make sure you’re also communicating with other people who will be helping you move–especially if those people are your parents and they will be traveling. Even better than just planning is planning smart: consider what needs to be done when you are moving. If lots of heavy furniture needs to be moved, it may be helpful to have several of your roommates and their families there together. If you are moving out of your dorm, on the other hand, having two sets of families packed in your little room might not be the best idea.

Stay organized. While packing, everyone reaches the point where they just start throwing things in boxes (just to get it done). This is great for getting your packing over with, but not so good when you reach your new place and realize your toaster is buried somewhere amidst your winter clothes. If you give yourself plenty of time to pack and clearly label your boxes, both packing and unpacking should be relatively painless.

Make it fun! (Or at least bearable). Pump your favorite music, create an assembly line with your friends, mix decorating in with unpacking . . . whatever makes the process a little bit more enjoyable. Doing this will probably help you get done faster and will also give you a better first impression of your new home.

Lift safe. Okay, this is an obvious one, but very important (and sometimes easy to forget). If you have heavy boxes or furniture or are moving around small spaces or stairs, make sure you are using proper lifting techniques by lifting with your knees and not your back. Failing to do this is another way to spoil your moving day and put a wrench in your plans.

Get ready to scrub. College residences don’t have a reputation for being squeaky clean and sparkling, but you’ll feel much better if you can walk around your floors without your socks getting dirty. Also remember to do a great job cleaning if you are leaving one apartment for another–if you leave a mess, your landlord will probably cut down your security deposit.

Last but not least, be excited. Although many parts of the moving process aren’t exactly fun, it is a cool experience to move into a place of your own, especially if it’s your first time living away from home or out of the dorms. Allow yourself to dive into decorating and imagine all the great memories you’ll make in your new place. But after that, get back to cleaning!

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.