This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Before school started and I moved into the dorms here at UWL, I was just thrilled to decorate my room with cute items I found at Target Dollar Spot and numerous DIY’s I found on Pinterest. At home, it was impossible for me to comprehend the tininess of the space. Ultimately, the downsizing didn’t actually hit me until it was move in day- and that happens for lots of people. At first, I found it difficult with little space (as I’m an over-packer). Overtime though, I learned to love the space I live in.

Don’t get me wrong, my room at home will always be a special place to me, and nothing can replace that. But, I love my new home, and I’ll shout that to the world- it makes me that happy. Not only do I love the UWL campus and the La Crosse community, but, as I’ve mentioned in the article so far, I love my room.

First, I love knowing that I can live in an extremely limiting space. I don’t need a large room to thrive and be successful. Everything fits just fine. Second, I absolutely adore the coziness of my room. My futon is beyond comfortable (not even joking, it’s amazing) and although my bed isn’t the same as mine back home, I’ve added cute pillows, blankets, and mattress pads to make it extra soft; I guess you can say that I’ve grown to enjoy that too. I’ve also strung Christmas lights around the room (although it’s Christmas-time now, those have been hanging up since September). The warm glow of the lights takes me back to relaxing nights in my home, where I had a larger space. And beyond the coziness, I love being able to truly make the space mine.

As Christmas approaches, I’ve decorated the room with Christmas items. Garland, a mini Christmas tree, window clings, a stocking, and much more is hung with care around the room. My roommate and I have a little family of plants that chill by the window- this includes my two cacti (Groot and Rocket) and Katie’s cacti (Peg); rest in peace Craig, the succulent who recently died (pictured below, at right).

What I’m trying to say is, own your space. Make it a place you look forward to coming home to. It took a while, but I actually refer to my dorm room as home sometimes. Hang pictures around the room, add throw pillows to your bed, buy a tapestry that reflects your style- so many things can be done to bring your personality into the dorm. And maybe a simple room with little decorations is for you! Do what makes you happy- clean designs for room decor can help the room feel less cluttered!

I’ve found that home, to me, means many things. Home can be the people that surround me, a safe space that I live, a home I have memories attached to, and a location that houses happiness. My actual home (not my dorm room) is a special place to me, but so is the room I’m currently living in. A year of memories from my first year of college are housed in a minuscule space. And instead of resenting it, I adore it.

Home sweet home, dorm sweet dorm.

Just an English major and barista who loves to travel, hammock, and pet dogs. Psalm 46:5.