Instagram Captions We’ve All Used and What They Really Mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Social media is the place to make your life look pretty. But in reality, our lives aren’t always as perfect as our insta-themes might suggest. If our captions were totally honest, here’s what they might say.

1.

What your caption says: Take me back 

What it really means: I wanted to post this picture when I was actually on vacation, but I had already posted a picture that day, so I’m posting it now to remind you that I went on vacation and how good I looked with my tan.

2. 

What your caption says: Life is better when you’re laughing!

What it really means: There was nothing funny going on when I took this photo, but you can’t post two serious selfies in a row amiright?

3. 

What your caption says: We’re dysfunctional, but I love them 

What it really means: As I my group of friends and I were preparing to take a group shot (and thus were not smiling at the camera) our photographer took this. As it turns out, I don’t really like the group picture that was eventually taken, so here’s this one instead. Aren’t we cute?

4.

What your caption says: [insert any generic, inspirational quote here]

What it really means: It took me 70 tries before getting a selfie I liked and I’ll probably start hating it if I look at it for 1 second longer, so here’s a quote that has nothing to do with anything but sounds nice. Please like it to raise my self esteem.

5.

What your caption says: Wouldn’t have wanted to [fill in the blank] with anyone else 

What it really means: I couldn’t think of a caption.

6.

What your caption says: Blurry picture from a blurry night

What it really means: I got totally wasted last night. My mascara was running, I was sweating like a man, and I looked like a maniac. Good thing you can’t tell from this picture!

7.

What your caption says: Happy mother’s day/father’s day/birthday to a parent/grandparent

What it really means: Sure, the subject of my photo does not have Instagram and will probably never see this. But my followers will see how family focused I am and that’s what counts, right?

8.

What your caption says: #tbt

What it really means: I was cute once. Here’s proof.

9.

What your caption says: [extremely long happy birthday post that no one will read except for maybe the birthday person]

What it really means: I don’t want anyone to forget that we are BFFs. Also, I feel obligated since you did the same thing for my birthday.

10.

What your caption says: Snip snip (plus haircut emoji)

What it really means: Thank god I have a built-in reason to post a selfie!

11.

What your caption says: [song lyrics]

What it really means: Once again, I couldn’t think of a caption.

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.