How to Start the New Semester on the Right Foot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

As nice as winter break was, there’s always some excitement with the start of a new semester. A new semester means new classes, new professors, new classmates, among many other new things. You could be excited or you could actually just totally be dreading it just thinking about how hard the coming semester is going to be, but don’t fret! With a lot bit of motivation, a little bit of guidance, and a little bit of positivity this could very well be your best semester at UW-L yet! Here are some things that you can do to make it a great semester! 

1. Get to know your professors right away! I’ve found that when you get to know your professor a little bit and get more comfortable around them, it not only makes the class feel more relaxed but it makes it more comfortable to ask questions if you end up feeling confused through out the semester.

2. Take the opportunity of being in new classes with new faces to make a friend in each of your classes. It’s nice to befriend at least one person in each class so you have someone to go to if you have quick questions about the class or an assignment. This also gives you someone to study with when you have a big exam coming up! 

3. Get organized! The first week of classes can feel a bit crazy. You are bombarded with a ton of information from each class about what you will be doing for the semester and honestly, it can be a bit intimidating and overwelming. Don’t wait until the last second to get everything together for each class. Something I did for each of my classes this semester was I made a binder cover for each of my binders. 

4. Sign up for a work out class at the rec! Take the opportunity of the new year and new semester to work out and start making lifestyle changes in your life. Taking time to work out really helps keep me motivated and helps keep me positive during busy, stressful days! This semester I signed up for a 7:45 am cycling class and as hard as it will be to wake up in the morning, I know I won’t regret it. TIP: sign up with a friend so you can both motivate eachother. (This helps a lot!!)

5. Write goals for yourself each day/week! Even little goals such as “make your bed in the morning” or “call my parents” can really help you feel accomplishment throughout the day.

6. Be positive! As hard as it is getting use to a new schedule with new classes, try to stay as positive as you can. If you start feeling stressed or anxious, just take a break to close your eyes and focus on your breathing. This does real wonders and I promise it will help. 

7. Try your best! Give your school work all you got, but don’t beat yourself up to much. Be nice to yourself and be sure to give yourself breaks when you need it.

Good luck UW-L with this coming semester! Spring break will be here before you know it! 

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller