This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

One of the most silent pains someone can feel in their life is a broken heart. Heartbreaks seem to be inevitable, one torturous process that majority of people face in their lifetime.  Unfortunately, I wish I could sit here and tell you the secret to fixing your heartache and give you tips to feel whole again, but I can’t and even wish I had that answer for myself. Everyone deals with heartbreaks a little differently. Here are my thoughts on heartbreaks.

Heartbreaks suck. If someone could tell me a step by step plan of how to avoid them, or fix them if they happen, please share. It’s exhausting to wonder what you did wrong and why it did not work out. There isn’t a timetable of how long they can take to recover from, it could be weeks, months, even years. I don’t believe there is anything that could make a heartbreak easier.

At one point or another, I could bet many people have considered giving up on love, especially after a heartbreak, doing all things possible to avoid that internal pain altogether. My one plea is, don’t give up on love. It may take a while, but don’t let the pain build a wall that no one will ever be able to knock down because it will become very lonely. I hope that you don’t lose your trust in others over a heartbreak.        

Sometimes you have to accept that you may never get answers to the questions that keep you up at night. Heartbreaks come with a lot of questions, many of which will go unanswered and you will be forced to make sense of the situation for yourself. When you accept the fact that you may not get the closure you want, it helps heal your heart a little bit.

One of the most important things to do to handle a heartbreak is find healthy ways to cope with your pain. Time and time again, people turn to unhealthy outlets and find comfort in dark places. The lingering pain of a heartbreak will continue on if it lurks in the negative habits you build to get over it. If you turn to positive solutions, the pain subsides sooner than you think.

Almost everyone has been through some sort of heartbreak and it is so important to talk about them. I mean don’t go pressing someone for answers about a heartbreak, when it could potentially still be painful for them, but it is so important to understand the pain that another person has gone through to be able to have a stronger relationship.

To whoever will have my heart next, don’t try and fix it. Don’t sit there and agonize over trying to put the pieces back together. You were not the one to break it, so it’s not your fault. It’s my many experiences, especially the heartbreaks that have taught me what I want in life. The fact that it’s broken, led me to you in the first place. Having my heart broken just means there is more pieces of me to love.

Erin is currently a senior at UW-La Crosse majoring in Marketing and minoring in Interpersonal Communications. Being born and raised in La Crosse, she can't part with her hometown and her family. Fun-loving and outgoing, Erin smiles every chance she gets!