This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

I saw something on Twitter yesterday that read, “Daily Reminder: It’s ok to put yourself first.” I glanced at it and then continued to scroll, as I was scrolling back up to the top I saw that same message again. This time I stopped and contemplated it for a minute. Once I thought about all the responsibilities and work that goes into being a college student, I realized that this is something most of us don’t do enough. Yes, we are here for an education and not to party or enjoy a nine month long vacation, but I do believe in the importance of taking care of yourself. Although I am only a month into my freshman year I can already see vicious patterns that have begun. My main problem is lack of sleep, I put school work, friends, work, and exercise above my own health. It wasn’t until last week after exams I decided to skip my morning class and sleep in. For some people that’s viewed as unacceptable, and if you are one of those people I dare you to try it. To those of you struggling to cope I encourage you to go to bed early, take a nice hot shower , crawl into bed and relax. Don’t worry about the paper, or homework assignment you have due, I promise it’ll be there in the morning. Too often we put many things above ourselves to the point where we become physically ill from exhaustion, listen to your body and know when it’s time to put the laptop down and head to bed. Whether you’re at this point now, or will be in the next couple months, try to remember that you are human and therefore your health becomes your main priority. 

Hi my name is Madi! I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse as a Communications major. I love to sing, dance, play tennis, workout, cuddle my dog, and hang with my floor mates. I am a traveler and hope to visit all of Europe before I die.