A College Girl’s Lipstick Collection, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

If you’re like me you *might* have a “small” affinity for lipstick, and you *might* have 3 shades that your friends claim are exactly the same, but you know, they’re not. Makeup is fun! And there’s no harm in having a nice collection of lipstick. I like to get mine on a college budget, so here are some of my affordable favorites, ranked.

1. Calvin Klein One: Liplock

This is by far my favorite lipstick in my collection. Although it’s not the cheapest you can get, I only spent $16 on this lipstick, and it has been totally worth it. This lipstick is creamy, lasts all day, and even smells a bit like vanilla. *swoon* Not to mention the berry color is perfect to wear at pretty much any time of the year.

2. Ulta Matte Lip Crayon: Soiree

This crayon is another one of my favorites. With Ulta’s great deals on their own products, this gem only cost me $4 (with a 2 for $8 deal). This color is a little less bold, and I love wearing it in the fall or winter with big scarves. I’ve learned on that it stays on best with a layer of powder on top. I have a few of these matte lip crayons in my arsenal and would definitely recommend them. 

3. Rimmel London The Only 1: One-Of-A-Kind

Like the Ulta matte lip crayons, I also have multiple shades from this collection. This lipstick is smooth and lasting, and did I mention gorgeous?? I was obsessed with this color during the holiday season, and graced more than one Christmas gathering in this shade. Like the lip crayon, I also like to use powder with this for more of a matte finish. Did I mention, it was only $6?!

4. Lancôme Color Design: Red Stiletto

This color is admittedly the most expensive currently in my possession, checking out at around $23. (Lucky me, it was a gift!). This lipstick is bold, beautiful, and seems to look impeccable, even after eating. The only reason it’s not ranked higher is that it’s more expensive than the rest. Still, I would recommend this lipstick to anyone!

5. Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color: Red Velvet

This is one of my older lipsticks, but I still love to use it in the Spring and Summer. It’s bright and cheery, and only costs around $2!! It doesn’t have quite the life span as some of the other brands, but I’m telling you, applying powder to make it stay works magic. This is a great lipstick if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative.

6. Ulta Matte Lipstick

Surprise, surprise, I have a few shades from this collection as well. I don’t like the matte lipsticks as much as the crayons, but I also got these for a great 2 for $8 deal. For the price, the colors are nice and vibrant, and last a fairly long time, depending on what wear and tear you’re putting on them. Although they’re not my complete favorite, these are still a great option.

Okay, I’ll admit it, this was only a portion of my lipstick collection, but these are some of my absolute favorites. Take it from me, looking glam can still be done on a college budget. I leave you with these words from Coco Chanel, and remember, lipstick does not define your beauty.

Rachel is an English major and Graphic Design minor at UW-La Crosse, with a serious case of wanderlust. Her time is spent writing, drinking coffee, hiking, discussing Harry Potter, and being distracted by the sky.