7 Reasons Why We Love Orange is the New Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

If you aren’t already binge watching the highly popular Netflix series Orange is the New Black, here’s 7 reasons why you should.

1. The characters are AMAZING.

Every character has a different story and all of their stories are so unique. Learning bits and pieces of their lives in and outside of prison is what keeps us hooked.

2. It makes us laugh.

It’s so down to earth funny that we can’t get enough of it. Between all the prison banter, one liners, and Crazy Eyes, the show has always got us cracking up.

3. It’s very diverse.

No other show has as much diversity as OITNB. There’s even a amazing transgender actress that has a role as a transgender woman on the show. It’s refreshing to see such diverse actors and really adds authenticity to the show.

4. You never know what is going to happen next.

The show has so many plot twists. Especially Piper and Alex’s rollercoaster love story. Every episode will surprise you. Beware of extreme binge watching.  

5. You feel like you know all the women on a personal level.

Throughout the episodes you learn more and more about every character through flashbacks to their lives before prison. We can connect with their stories and it even feels like you are right there beside them.

6. Total girl power.

Every character has so much strength and heart, you can’t help but admire it. All of the women stand up for what they believe and really show us just what women are made of.

7. It pulls at our heartstrings.

It talks about some deep topics like loneliness, racism, love, and equality. You can’t help but feel each woman’s pain and struggle as they serve their time in prison.