Universal Pictures UVM: Ouija: Origins of Evil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Universal Pictures UVM hosted a free screening of Ouija: Origin of Evil last week, which was a great opportunity for some scary fun! Everyone loves a good horror movie around when it starts to get cold out and you want to cuddle up (especially me), and everyone loves a free movie in general. This combination made Ouija: Origin of Evil a real treat. 

Despite my lifelong love affair with horror movies, I have never seen a horror movie made for families. Watching the film, I sometimes forgot it was a horror movie, watching the honest portrayal of a family going through a loss…until I jumped and there waswere some horrific reveals.   I haven’t seen the 2014, original movie, Ouija, but I don’t think I needed to in order to watch this installment of the series. It is able to stand alone as a story, unlike The Conjuring, where it made more sense if you saw all of the films in a consecutive row to fill the holes in the storyline. 

I felt connected to the three main characters, two daughters and a widowed mother, and their adventures with the spirits lurking in their home. The director included a lot of personal aspects of family interaction which was touching, and contrasted well with the horrific parts.

Ouija: Origin of Evil is the perfect movie to ask your SO out to on a date, or get the girls together to make a post-Halloween scareventure for a night.

Universal Pictures UVM has some great other movies coming up and Her Campus UVM recommends you do NOT miss these! 

Hi! I'm Maina Carey and I am a first-year student at the University of Vermont. I am majoring in Environmental Science and Political Science. I am a member of FeelGood: UVM Chapter, College Democrats, and the Political Science Club. When I'm not stressing over Gen Chem, I enjoy writing, reading, sailing, shopping, and Christmas.
I'm Emma, an 18 year old figure skater and artist from the Boston Area. I am a first year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Studio Art and Psychological Sciences as part of the Integrated Fine Art's Deans program, while participating in Hillel, and The UVM Figure Skating Club as a member of the UVM Synchronized Figure Skating Team as well as the Ice Cats performance team. I am the Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus UVM Chapter and also the Campus Correspondent. I am passionate about fashion, writing, feminism, beauty, living green, and travelling. I believe in being confidently beautiful and empowering women to feel the same!