Tips on Finding a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

1.Start Early

While summer isn’t necessarily right around the corner, it is never too early to start looking for a summer internship or job. Starting the search early ensures that there are still plenty of opportunities and positions open, allowing you to snag the one you really want. Not to mention securing one early allows you to focus on your classes and finals near the end of the semester.

2. Utilize family and friends to network

If you’re not sure where to start looking for an internship, ask your family and friends if they know anyone who works or has connections in your field of interest. While they themselves may not be able to offer you an opportunity, they might connect with someone who can!

3. Develop a stellar resume

Polish up your resume or if you don’t already have one, create it. A resume is often the first thing a perspective employer will look at and it is always important to make a good first impression. And of course, be sure to have a friend, relative, or teacher look it over to catch any grammar or spelling mistakes you might have missed!

4. Be prepared for an interview – Study up

When applying for internships, be prepared for an interview, as they are common practice. If you are requested to come in for one be sure to study up on the organization or company you are applying to intern for.  It always looks better if you appear interested and engaged in the work you will be doing.