Scary Movies For Date Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Scary movies can be the perfect opportunity for you and your romantic interest to turn off the lights and cuddle/cling to each other all night long. They can also provoke some great conversation afterwards. Studies even show that scary situations can promote intimacy! Get ready for a night of popcorn eating and hand-holding, here are some awesome scary movies to consider for your next date night:

1. The Ring

Legend has it that a cursed videotape kills the viewer seven days after they watch it. When a group of teenagers actually die a week after watching the tape news reporter Rachel Keller allows her investigative curiosity to get the best of her and she tracks down the tape to watch. She now has seven days to solve the mystery before she becomes apart of it.

2. The Shining

Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a position as a winter caretaker for the isolated Overlook Hotel. He moves in with his wife and his son, who possesses a psychic ability called “the shining”. They soon become trapped inside by a winter snowstorm and begin to face the wrath of the supernatural hotel that seems hell-bent on killing Jack and his family.

3. Drag Me to Hell

Loan officer Christine Brown pays the price for trying to impress her boss by denying an old woman an extension on her home loan. The old women places a supernatural curse on Christine, threatening her soul with eternal damnation. While Christine tries her hardest to fight for her soul, evil forces are working overtime to fight against it.

4. Scream

When a serial killer who identifies as “Ghostface” goes after high school student Sydney Prescott, her and her friends under attack use horror movie conventions/clichés as a tactic to survive.

5. Poltergeist

The Freeling family live in a housing development in California where they become haunted and terrorized by a host of ghosts through their television set. The ghosts only communicate with one member of the family: 5-year old daughter Carol Anne.

I'm currently pursuing an early childhood education degree at UVM with a minor in special education. Writing has always been a passion of mine and I enjoy writing articles for other students to explore.