Running Routes of Burlington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Despite the spotty snowfall, we are in fact a week into spring. The sidewalks around campus have finally become clear, grass is visible and sun is in the forecast! What better way to bring in the new season than to go for a run?

Burlington is home to over 7 miles of bike path, starting in southern Burlington and ending at the Winooski River. The path provides stable ground and amazing views of both the Adirondack and Green Mountains. One of the most noteworthy running routes is that to North Beach. If you have yet to see this spot, take this chance to become familiar with it before the entire student body swarms it’s sand later this semester.

Simply head downtown on College Street until you hit the waterfront. Run past the Echo Aquarium and take a right onto the path by the water. Follow the paved path all the way past the red boatyard and into a wooded area. You will glimpse small bits of sandy beach as you run. 2 miles from the waterfront is North Beach. This is a fairly flat run, just watch out for bikers!

If you’re looking for an even greater challenge you can continue all the way down the beach to the woods and follow signs for Lone Rock Point. The footing is fairly unstable but it’s a quick trail run for another breathtaking view overlooking massive rocks.

On campus there are several more accessible routes to try. A 5k course is conveniently located behind the gym within the golf course. A great combination of trail running, pavement and grass provides a varied workout. Take the bike path next to the practice fields behind the gym and follow it all the way down the hill. Once you lose the road from view keep your eyes out for a well-beaten path that leads into the woods, marked by a wooden bench (If you hit a red bridge you have gone too far). Follow this into the golf course. It will eventually spit you out back on the paved bike path. This brings you exactly 3.2 miles, perfect when training for a race.

Live on central? Remote Centennial Woods is practically in your back yard. Behind Jeffords and the parking lot of the back of the hospital is a set of lights on East Ave. Cross the street and you will see the small tan buildings of police services. Run past these and you will reach the woods, a wooden sign for centennial woods will direct you. From here follow whichever path you choose, they loop around and end up intersecting. Pine trees span over these trails and provide a cool calm environment. Although a bit muddy in the spring centennial woods is welcome escape from the concrete around Burlington.

For a hill work out, head down Colchester Ave toward Trinity. Continue down the hill toward Winooski. If you are looking to explore stop in at the cemetery located on the right side of the street and take a jog around. Once at the bottom of the hill you will see the center of Winooski, from here you can run to the boardwalk over the Winooski River. Just make sure to save some energy for the uphill run back!

No matter your running experience, hitting the trails is a great way to get in shape and get some much needed vitamin D. Whether you use one of these routes or do some exploring of your own, you’ll be sure see parts of Burlington you noticed before.