My Life is GrUV: Get To Know EcoWare!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Eco-friendly endeavors are constantly on the minds of students and faculty at the University of Vermont, striving to promote cleaner and greener habits.

Groups and organizations at UVM realize that it takes more than just a few people to help reduce the negative impact on the environment, and reaching other students is absolutely necessary. So why not go to the most populated students areas on campus where measuring the amount of wasted materials is easiest?

With this in mind, the UVM University Dining Services (in coalition with the Greenhouse Group, Honors College students, and Sodexo food services) launched the new Eco-Ware Program at Brennens and the University Marché. The program was made available to students starting the Spring 2011 semester, where eco-friendly reusable container can be purchased than wasting plastic containers after each visit. The program works in efforts to reduce waste in take-out dining, as well as to help students develop more sustainable habits.

”Take-out dining generates excessive waste. If you order two take-out meals per day each week during the academic year, you’ll use at least 340 plates or to-go boxes,” states the USD. “ Add in utensils, cups, bottles, soup, salad and sandwich containers, multiply that by the thousands of customers we serve each day, and you can quickly see why this has become such an important initiative.“

To get your Eco-Ware take-out container, the UDS suggests that students:

• Ask a chef at your favorite Marché station or
your cashier at Brennan’s to serve your meal in an Eco-Ware container.
• First container cost $7.50 plus price of your meal.
• Save 5 cents off every Eco-Ware meal!
• Rinse & return your container to main register at the Marché or your cashier at Brennan’s
• Upon return, receive an Eco-Ware cow tag to exchange for your next Eco-Ware container!
• Keep on returning your tags & SAVE!

So grab your Eco-Ware container during your next visit to
Brennens or Marchè and join UVM’s green movement!

Source: University of Vermont