My Life is GrUV: Dubstep Dress Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Going to a dubstep show anytime soon? Need some pointers on what to wear to fit in to the “rave” crowd? After attending the Skrillex concert this past week, we decided we should lay down some ground rules for “dress etiquette” at a show.

Follow these simple tips to create an unforgettable dubstep outfit:

Glitter is never in excess.
Glitter can be used in a variety of ways, for example, around your eyes, on your chest, or a sequined shirt. You could also pick up a cheap package of sticky gems (like the stick-on earrings you probably wore as a kid) from a craft store such as Michael’s to accent your face. Glitter and gems shine and sparkle in the lights at these types of shows and can be really fun to work into your outfit.

Don’t forget your hair!

People sometimes think that you won’t be able to see your hair in the lighting, but your hair is so much fun to work with. You can wear a crazy headband, put in little braids all over, or add some beads. Don’t forget a hair tie, as you will be getting pretty sweaty and you’ll want to tie it back.

Bathing suits as shirts are perfectly acceptable.
Do you miss summer as much as the rest of us? Dust off that bandeau or bikini top from the back of your drawer and work it. If you feel like covering up a little more than just a bra, wear a sheer top or something neon. You may want to bring a jacket out with you as the weather gets colder, but don’t bring something that you can’t live without.

Tutus are a little much.
You can basically get away with wearing whatever you want on the bottom, but feel free to go a little crazy. Whether you’re wearing jeans, a simple black skirt, or some short, colorful spandex, you meet the dress code. And while there’s no “overkill”, tutus are a little over the top.

Watch your toes.
Wear closed-toed shoes that you’re not afraid to get dirty. Your toes will probably be stepped on, so don’t wear sandals. Urban Outfitters has fake Ked’s on sale right now. You can also find some cute flats or sneakers at the local Goodwill or other second-hand stores. Invest ten dollars to show off your dubstep moves without breaking your toes (or bank account).

For those of you with a Y chromosome: a white t-shirt and jeans is fine, but you could also try a lacrosse pinny, a neon bathing suit, or some cut-offs. Don’t be afraid to dress up and go crazy, too!

With these six steps to a fabulous outfit, you can’t go wrong! Have fun and be safe and WOMP.