My Life Is GrUV: Beginners Guide to Ski & Snowboard Passes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Now that the leaves are starting to change colors, it is time to start thinking about purchasing a ski and snowboard pass. Whether you are new to skiing or you have been skiing since you could walk, there is a season pass for you!

The first step in buying your season pass is to become a member of UVM’s Ski and Snowboard Club. The membership costs $20, and with that you get an awesome t-shirt and discounts at local ski shops and on your season pass. The Ski and Snowboard Club also provides busses to the mountains every weekend for their members, which is great if you do not have a car. The hardest part is deciding where you want to ski- because all of the mountains are pretty great. Here is an overview of the passes UVMSSC has to offer, and hopefully it will help you make your decision.

Stowe Mountain Resort

Stowe Mountain Resort is about an hour away from campus. Stowe has two peaks, which gives you access to different types of terrain. Spruce Peak allows you to access mostly beginner and intermediate trails, and the Mansfield side gives you access to intermediate and expert trails. One of the best things about Stowe is that they have a gondola. This is an enclosed lift that gives you access to a variety of terrain and keeps you warm on those below zero days! Stowe also has two terrain parks where you can show off your gnarly skills. It is the home mountain for the UVM Alpine Ski Team, as well as UVM’s Freestyle Ski Team. The pass will cost you $380 if you purchase it through the UVM Ski and Snowboard Club.

Sugarbush and Mad River Valley

Sugarbush has three different pass options this season. The first pass, which costs $219, gives you access to their main peak, Mt. Ellen. However, for $319, you can purchase the full-access Sugarbush pass, which allows you to ride Mt. Ellen and Lincoln Peak. This pass gives you access to the 16 lifts, 111 trails and 20 wooded areas that Sugarbush has to offer. They have also partnered with Mad River Valley to offer the “threesome” pass. This pass gives you access to Mad River Valley and the two peaks at Sugarbush. Mad River Valley is a skier’s only mountain and is the home to the world’s only single rider chair lift. The terrain at Mad River Valley is never groomed and consists of mostly wooded trails. The threesome pass costs $359.

Jay Peak

Jay Peak claims to have the most natural snow on the East Coast! They have 77 trails and access to glades and backcountry skiing. There are 9 different lifts and a tram, which, like Stowe’s gondola, is great for those cold winter days! Jay Peak offers mostly intermediate and expert terrain, with some beginner trails. Jay Peak also has four terrain parks for you to do some tricks in. This pass costs $199. However, if you live close to Burke Mountain, you may be interested in the double pass Jay Peak is offering. For $249 you get a pass to both Jay Peak and Burke Mountain. Burke Mountain is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from campus, and the Ski and Snowboard Club does not offer a bus to this mountain.

Smuggler’s Notch and Bolton

Smuggler’s Notch, better known as Smuggs, has combined with Bolton Valley to offer the 2 for U College Pass. Smuggs and Bolton Valley offer terrain for all abilities as well as glades and terrain parks. Bolton Valley has a terrain park designed by Burton (a premier snowboard company). Bolton Valley also has night skiing Wednesday through Saturday, which is great for a night out with your friends. This pass costs $249, a great deal for season passes for two mountains.

One of the best things about living in Burlington and going to UVM is being so close to all of these mountains. You have access to the best skiing and riding in Vermont- enjoy it and make sure to hit the slopes this winter!

PHOTO CREDIT: http://www.skinet.com/skiing/resorts/stowe