This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Have you ever wondered why UVM doesn’t do a dance marathon like other state schools like Penn State, or University of Maryland? Senior Marissa Massimore is bringing the first ever dance marathon to UVM’s campus next semester. The money from this event will go to the B+ (B Positive) Foundation, an organization that funds childhood research and care for families. Marissa’s inspiration and dedication to this event and cause is something huge. She shows that it only takes one person to make such an impact on campus!

What is the B+ Foundation?

“The B+ Foundation is an organization that funds childhood cancer research and provides financial aid to families who have children in treatment for things such as gas, groceries, rent, anything that is an extra expense.”

How can B+ affect UVM and the greater Burlington community?

“B+ is a great organization because something that is unique about them is that whatever money is raised at UVM will stay local to hopefully children at Fletcher Allen or other hospitals in the Vermont area so that is something awesome to get involved in.”

What inspired to become involved with B+?

“When I went to the Northeast Greek Leadership Association Conference in February I met the program director, Carly Bernstein of the B+ foundation who advertised for hosting events such as 5Ks, dance marathons, and big spaghetti dinners and that’s when I just knew it that I was going to be bringing a dance marathon to UVM’s campus.”

Why did you decide to get involved?

“I’m from the State College area, which is where Penn State is, so I’m really familiar with THON so I was super excited when I found out that B+ hosts dance marathons.”

What is your role in B+ in relation with UVM?

“My role is that I’m the executive coordinator for the UVM MaraTHON, which is a 12-hour dance marathon that is going to be in the spring 2014 semester and it will be benefitting the B+ Foundation.”

What is your most important goal for this event?

“My most important goal for this event I think would be to bring UVM as a campus together more at a big event that everyone on campus can get involved in. It’s not just for athletes it’s not just for Greek Life. It’s an event for the entire campus, so that would be the most important goal, and to obviously raise money for childhood cancer research.

What do you plan on doing to achieve this goal?

To achieve my goal I am planning on sending everyone on my executive board to different parts of the campus to try to get everyone involved and to encouraging everyone to be fundraising for the B+ foundation”