Join One Day Without Shoes on April 5th!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

We don’t consider the steps we take, walking to a lecture, trekking to the top of Mount Mansfield, or even the short trip to the bathroom. We also don’t consider the importance of a simple pair of shoes, the inanimate objects we often toss around as though worthless items. Today, most children in developed countries receive their first pair of shoes before being born only to take their first steps several months later, where many children in developing countries grow up barefoot.

These young children are forced to walk distances that we’d never imagine for daily necessities without the comfort of basic footwear. The result of this leads to infections, diseases, and disorders that most are unable to afford proper treatment for. Not only this, but children that do not own any type of footwear often aren’t allowed to attend school, limiting their chance of improving their community and future. Though in 2006, owner of TOMS Shoes, Blake Mycoskie, stepped in to make a difference.

According to the TOMS Shoes website, “Blake Mycoskie befriended children in Argentina and found they had no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, he created TOMS Shoes, a company that would match every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. One for One. Blake returned to Argentina with a group of family, friends and staff later that year with 10,000 pairs of shoes made possible by TOMS customers.”

So what can you as a student do, even beyond campus?
The answer is simple, so easy a caveman could do it. Ditch the shoes for a day and join the barefoot movement. On April 5th, 2011, people everywhere are joining the TOMS movement, One Day Without Shoes, to spread word about this issue in developing countries. So give it a shot and prepare your toes for the solid ground before your Art History exam, or even for a stroll around your neighborhood! If anyone should give funny looks, just spread the word on why and how they can make a difference too!

To learn more, go to the One Day Without Shoes website!