Hot & Healthy: How To Go Low Cal With Your Favorite Winter Beverages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Winter is probably the most difficult season for staying motivated and healthy when you’re faced with the best hot chocolates and coffee flavors of the year. On the coldest nights, I’m always distracted by my several hundred layers of clothing to think about hitting the gym, and those delicious winter drinks don’t exactly help my waist either.

When made correctly, coffee and tea are packed with antioxidants to fight the cold and rev up the immune system. So why not choose them? Consider these alternatives before asking for that large white hot chocolate with whipped cream.

These options can help shed the calories and keep your waist in check!

Opt for the smaller size.
Getting a smaller size obviously won’t have as much content as a larger size. A venti at Starbucks has 40% more drink compared to a tall, easily kicking up the calories. Small sizes will still satisfy any craving and keep you just as warm!

Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg instead of flavored syrup.
Flavored syrup can do wonders when it comes to giving your coffee a perfect flavor. However, those syrups contain fat that is unnecessary and should be avoided. Instead, try a regular coffee and sprinkle spices, like cinnamon or nutmeg, on top to give an extra flavor.

Skip the whip cream & sprinkles.

Ask for skim instead of whole milk.

Go for a regular coffee.
A regular coffee that isn’t loaded with dairy, syrup, or sugar will never let you down. According to LiveStrong.com, 16oz of black coffee has only 5 calories. So lighten up the load and try the simple options.

Test out new teas.

When brewed right, teas are the most flavorful drinks and come in so many different varieties. Teas also contain benefits that any other winter beverage usually doesn’t, such as reducing your risk for heart attack or stroke, strengthening your immune system, and even helping build strong bones. My personal favorite? Tazo Tea Calm at the end of the day made with camomile, peppermint, rose petals, and so many other flavorful ingredients.

Use a zero-calorie sweetener.
Skip the carbs by going for a zero-calorie sweetener, like Splenda, instead of liquid or regular sugar.