Hot & Healthy: How to Get Motivated for the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Take a class- This semester I signed up to take “Jogging for Fitness” twice a week to make sure I got to the gym, and it was one of the best ideas I’ve ever had. Not only do I have to get up and go running twice a week, but this class also motivates me to workout other days as well. I even get a credit for it! I am also taking another class through Campus Rec that meets another two days a week, so I have my motivation built right into my class schedule!

Sign up for a race- If you set a goal like signing up for a 5k, triathlon, or other event you will have a concrete reason to head to the gym. Once you sign up there’s no turning back, so you’ll have constant motivation to workout and train!

Buy new gear- For me, buying new clothes or sneakers is great motivation to go to the gym and try out my new gear! I love treating myself to new workout pants or a nice tank top when I sign up for a race. This way, I get to go the gym to show it off!

Reward yourself- Set small goals on your way to your big goal and reward yourself every time you reach one! By treating yourself to a mani-pedi or a new shopping trip after a week of successful workouts you make the gym even more worthwhile and motivate yourself to keep going next week!

Follow “fitties”- There are thousands of fitness Instagram and Twitter accounts out there, and it can be super motivating to follow a few! If you are scrolling through Instagram when you’re bored and happen to pass a picture of someone else killing their workout or eating super healthy food then you’re going to want to do that too!

Find a buddy- Having a workout buddy not only makes the gym so much more fun, but also holds you accountable for going! You don’t want to be the one to cancel your gym date because Netflix was calling your name, do you?

Mix it up- It can be so easy to get stuck in a workout rut, making it even harder to find the motivation to get to the gym. Mix it up by trying out new routines you find online or by purchasing a class pass to add in some fun workouts.

Currently a Sophomore at the University of Vermont studying Dietetics, Nutrition and Food Science, with a minor in Spanish.