Hot & Healthy: Get Ready For Valentines Day The Natural Way!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Tis the season for romance and of course, chocolate.

Taken or single, this is my time of year where I want to look and feel my best. If you’re like me, you want to glow with soft skin and knock out with sexy hair. But genetics don’t always work in our favor, and things like dry skin and pimples will get in the way.

Taking in consideration my 2011 resolution of trying more natural foods and products, and thanks to the HC Team for sharing their personal beauty secrets, I’m taking a new approach to getting ready for this time of lovin’!

Dull hair putting a damper on your hair?

Use olive oil as a hair mask.
Warm up about half a shot glass of olive oil mixed with a couple drops of honey and rub into your scalp and throughout your strands. Wrap your hair in a towel and let the olive oil work it’s magic for 30-45 minutes. After, thoroughly wash your hair with shampoo, making sure to get out all of the mask so your strands aren’t left with a greasy feel. Air or blow dry, and voila! Smooth and voluminous with just the right shine.

Having a dry spell?

Stir up an exfoliant with cinnamon, brown sugar, and honey.
Gently exfoliate the dry area for about a minute and wash off with warm water. Be sure to moisturize right after, I suggest Aveeno Daily Moisturizer!

You can also use olive oil (again, I know!)
Warm up a few drops in your palms and apply to the dry area for 10 minutes. Wash it off with warm water for ultra smooth, sexy skin!

Keep a travel-size jar of Vaseline on hand.
Vaseline is great when it comes to dry skin. Use it for chapped lips every morning before applying a gloss, rub it into rough cuticles, or apply to a dry area that may be bother you.

I also like to apply a small amount right on top of my cheekbones to give my skin a healthy glow.

Skin problems? We’ve all got them.

Mix up honey and cinnamon for spot treatment.
Honey and cinnamon works great for acne, since they’re both natural antiseptics. Mix up honey and a small amount of cinnamon and apply to any problem areas or all over the face and leave on overnight. If it’s just a small spot, you can cover it with a band-aid, other wise I suggest covering your pillow with a towel. In the morning, wash off with warm water, followed by a cleanser and moisturizer. Continue using about 2-3 times per week to see results.

Use toothpaste!
Using a toothpaste (not a tooth gel) is great for drying out a pimple. Beware of pastes with fluoride though! The fluoride can irritate your skin and increase inflammation.

Slice up cucumbers for sensitive, tired skin.
Consider using this old spa trick at home! Put sliced and peeled cucumbers all over the face while lying down to sooth sensitive or waken tired skin.

Want an All-In-One?

Drink water!
Water isn’t only necessary for your body to function properly, it also benefits your skin, hair and over all health. So drink up!