Charlie from Capers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is Charlie, widely known across campus as “The Falafel Guy”. He is a UVM cook working at Capers (a personal Marketplace favorite of mine—especially on Thursdays when Charlie is making his delicious falafels). I sat down with Charlie to get to know the man behind those famous wraps.

Where are you from?Born and raised in Vermont.

What are some of your hobbies?  I collect art/create art (My lady friend, Lori, & I have a glass mosaic studio in our barn)

Did you do anything fun this summer?  Construction work with my brother in N.H. and making art!

What is your favorite thing to do in Vermont? I enjoy long walks/taking in the natural beauty of my surroundings.

If you could have dinner with anyone dead or alive, who would it be? Why?My mom, I miss her.

What is the most exciting part of your job?I love the interaction with students and staff. My daughter coming to see me is right up there, as well. She is a sophomore.

Do you have a favorite chef?I love Ginny Callan. She wrote the Horn of The Moon and several other excellent Vegetarian cookbooks.

What is your favorite food? I love beans! Red Lentils for curry or chick peas for falafel or channa masala, doesn’t matter.

What is your favorite meal to cook for UVM?I like trying new things. This Wednesday Mexi Shepherds Pie flatbread, which is tried and true at summer camp, but new to UVM.

What is the secret for your delicious falafels?Love! My heart goes into every batch. The effort required to pull off a successful Thursday is immense. If the students & staff didn’t make it so gratifying, it would be difficult to pour that much into it.

Charlie also has an adorable dog, named Beanie. She will be celebrating her 12th birthday on Thursday, September 11th!  

My name is Mia Finkle. I am currently a sophomore Nutrition and Food Science; Dietetics major. I grew up in Northern New Jersey, and I love the NY Giants. I also like to run. I just completed my first half marathon this summer in Portland, Maine. I'm also a die hard foodie! I love to try new things, and there is very little I won't eat.