Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UVM Blog

Kiss & Tell: Should We Marry Our Soul Mate?

By Sydney Kaplan
October 21, 2014 - 4:40pm

The author of Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert, made an appearance on Oprah to explain why we shouldn’t marry our soul mates.   Here's the HuffPost article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/11/elizabeth-gilbert-soul-mates_n_5961864.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063   To some, this might sound like blasphemy. Isn’t this what we’re all supposed to be searching for? However, if we pull apart some of her main points, it begins to make a lot more sense.  READ MORE

Beauty Closet: Halloween Makeup Tutorials

By Chloe Vickers
October 19, 2014 - 4:57pm

When it comes to Halloween, us ladies know that a crucial part to making a basic costume into a badass one that makes everyone turn and stare is some killer makeup. We are guilty of spending hours planning our costumes as though Halloweekend is the most important weekend of our very college lives and although planning the perfect costume can be tricky, mastering the makeup that’s going to pull it together can prove to be the real obstacle. So to make sure your Halloween is filled with more treats than tricks, here are a few makeup tutorials for costumes that are sure to wow everyone out there.   Tinker Bell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KkY00kSZTw...

Kiss & Tell: Flirting With TAs: How Far is Too Far?

By haylee.wexler
October 17, 2014 - 2:44pm

During the first week of classes your teacher introduces you to your new TAs (teaching assistants). A hot guy stands up and you immediately begin to crush on him. Weeks later you meet up with him at a party and think, “Should I go for it?” Chances are you both don’t realize he’s your TA. You guys end up hooking up and you try to add him on Facebook. (Side note: when I asked one of my TAs they said they aren’t allowed to accept request from their students. So don’t be upset).   READ MORE

Hot & Healthy: How to Get Motivated for the Gym

By Erin Mahoney
October 15, 2014 - 11:50pm

Take a class- This semester I signed up to take “Jogging for Fitness” twice a week to make sure I got to the gym, and it was one of the best ideas I’ve ever had. Not only do I have to get up and go running twice a week, but this class also motivates me to workout other days as well. I even get a credit for it! I am also taking another class through Campus Rec that meets another two days a week, so I have my motivation built right into my class schedule! READ MORE

My Life is GrUV: Ride the Yak

By tbeavin
October 15, 2014 - 12:43pm

If you haven’t heard of Yik Yak, the new(ish) app that is sweeping the nation, then you probably live under a rock. Yik Yak is a Twitter-like app, allowing you to post statements anonymously to members of your community. Yik Yak started out, and has continued to be, a college thing. You are even able to check out what other schools are Yakking — Hogwarts, NYU, Jacksonville State — to see where UVM ranks in the humor department. When the Yaks are posted, other Yik Yak users can upvote or downvote them and write anonymous comments. If a Yak gets -5 downvotes, its gone. However, some Yaks deserve snaps on their cleverness, humor, or realness. So here’s the list of the best recent Yaks. READ MORE

My Life is GrUV: Autumn Gems of Vermont

By Chloe Vickers
October 12, 2014 - 2:05pm

It’s no secret that Vermont autumns are one of the most beloved parts of the Green Mountain State. People flock from all over to appreciate the vibrant foliage that decorates the state from September to November. But the foliage isn’t the only thing that Vermont has to offer in the fall. Here’s a list of the gems that Vermont has to offer during this beautiful time of the year. Foliage READ MORE

Beauty Closet: 5 Ways to Rock a Puffer Vest

By Erin Mahoney
October 8, 2014 - 1:59pm

With fall in the air, now is a great time to break out your puffer vest. Vests are just warm enough for a chilly fall day, but not too warm that you’re sweating on your way to class. Try out these 5 outfit ideas and you can wear your vest everyday of the week! 1.     The usual: The easiest way to rock your puffy vest. Just throw on your favorite t-shirt and add the vest right on top. Bonus points: mix it up with bright colors or patterns in the shirt for a more exciting look. READ MORE

My Life is GrUV: The 5 People You'll Meet in Your Dorm

By Erin Mahoney
October 7, 2014 - 12:31pm

While UVM is a huge school, certain groups on campus tend to emerge more than others. While these are all huge generalizations, it is very likely that some floor mates will come to mind as you read about the people you’ll meet in your dorm.   1.     The Athlete READ MORE

Campus Celebrity: Emily Styles

By Sydney Kaplan
October 6, 2014 - 12:02pm

The most underrated job on campus? Sorority president...(in my biased opinion). Check out what Alpha Chi Omega president Emily Styles has to say about her experience. 1. Tell us about yourself.  I’m a junior who grew up in New York, but now I live in Kansas with my mom. I’m a Nutrition and Food Sciences major and have loved every minute of it. I work on campus in the athletic department and also downtown at Zabby and Elf’s Stone Soup.  READ MORE

Beauty Closet: Tips to Get A Natural Makeup Look

By Chloe Vickers
October 3, 2014 - 4:43pm

In recent years, I’ve noticed that women across the board are beginning to tone down their makeup. Thank God. Nothing makes me feel quite as horrified as seeing a beautiful young woman who looks like she’s either A) testing out her raccoon Halloween costume or B) heading to the local clown convention. Instead of using makeup to give ourselves a new face, we should use it to enhance our natural features and looks. Now this doesn’t mean that we can’t have fun with our makeup and try new looks (still trying to master that cat eye), but the key thing to remember is that when it comes to makeup, less is more. Also, girls have to remember that the products that work for one girl may not work for them because it all depends on your skin tone, coloring, and even...